Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-baked ideas

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    At first I was

Then I saw the price and I was

Then I saw that there were more like that.

Many many more.

And at that point I balked.
    I would love to see the sales stats for stuff like this, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Type
    INTP
    I really want a ruggedized camera with a retractable tether so I can have it always attached to a harness, pull it out far enough to frame a decent shot, and have it automatically retract when I clip it back in without any risk of dropping it. Dropping cameras sucks.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    How does my SPOT track my dumb ass so well if it's so battery intensive then?
    My guess would be it isn't always on. If it's just an on-demand sort of thing, then it won't drain nearly as much as if it's continuously tracking.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Yea, it does tracks similar to a Garmin or whatever, just at significantly lower resolution. I hadn't thought about it until just now. Usually if I'm doing trail surveys I'll have to swap the batteries on my GPS every day but I've had my SPOT device track week long trips with no issues. Probably has to do with the update interval.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    We should crowdsource some genuinely shitty genre erotica, sell the self-published ebooks on Amazon and then split the profits.
    Ummm ... we now have the means to personalize any formulaic story.
    The turtle BBCode allows the random generator of Logo to select from a list.
    Thus, user names could be selected at random as characters in the formulaic story.

Might we profit personally in terms of fun to try our hands/brains at this?

formulaic story in which members are selected at random. To use, just repeatedly click on the button labeled `Run Turtle' to generate variations on a formulaic story line. (What's a Turtle?)

; intended tentative contents of the turtle tag ... which keeps losing my edits!

make "r random 511

make "Our_heroine item random 3 ["gator "maddy "Hermz]

to male_user_selected_randomly
    output item random 2 ["hephy "msg_2 "giegs]
    end

to dinosaur_selected_randomly
    output item random 3 ["triceratops "velocoraptor "brontosaurus]
    end

cleartext
    print ; print an empty line to provide space for whatever is printed via the next print command
    print [male_user_selected_randomly "brandishing "his "penis "as "if "a dinosaur_selected_randomly "responded "to "the "come "hither "of :Our_heroine]
    Your browser doesn't support canvas tags. Please upgrade to a recent version of Firefox or Opera.
    Last edited by gps; 03-26-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Assuming we are looking at the same device--yeah, that's the difference. The GPS on the SPOT, even when in tracking mode, isn't constantly on. In tracking mode, it's only on for a few seconds every ten minutes. The biking app was using gps to monitor location and speed, so had a much shorter polling interval.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Don't I know it! My biggest battery killer was an app for tracking my bike rides. Holy shitsnacks!

That's why it wouldn't be constant though. I would just have it check in a dozen times a day or so--pseudorandomly. Short bursts. One user alone wouldn't do it, but that's why the data would be crowd-sourced. If the user base were large enough, it wouldn't take long to accrue enough data to put together a decent map. Over time, it would become more accurate.

Might be worth including information about the phone itself--I mean, the phones know what they are, and since the antennae vary from model to model, that too would be useful information to know.
    I wrote a couple gps apps and I think in the android the user had to approve the radio being put on so I don't know if it could be automated. It's been more than a year though so could I be wrong. There's a second time for everything.

I would the guess the Open Map project would have an easy to implement API if one wasn't using the google maps one.

I used to know a url for a wardriving site that was on the same line cept it charted wifi APs.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    We should start a church.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    We should start a church.
    I'm up for that.
    Secularist should be allowed a tax deduction and place to congregate too.

The secular temple of INTPness?

The Fraternal Order of Iconoclastic Heathins?

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    I'm up for that.
    Secularist should be allowed a tax deduction and place to congregate too.

The secular temple of INTPness?

The Fraternal Order of Iconoclastic Heathins?

I was thinking more of a real church, you know with magical sky dudes and stuff, people are going to be manipulated into doing things I figure it'd be best if we're the ones doing the manipulating.

Though someone else should take the pulpit I get a little to hitlery when giving speeches in front of large crowds.