Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Glass

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Google Glass

Has anyone on here used Google Glass? Know someone with it?

I'm totally liking where they're going with this, but it's way too early stage for me to be willing to plunk down $1500 for it right now.

If anyone wants in on the Glass program though PM me.
    Last edited by Osito Polar; 03-19-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    My team at work got one to evaluate. Pretty cool tech but the novelty wears off fast. Was fun to play with for a couple days but as is I wouldn't wear one regularly. I'll keep an eye on how it develops.

Also, don't be a glasshole.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rincon View Post
    As is I wouldn't wear one regularly. I'll keep an eye on how it develops.
    Yeah! It's such a cool idea, such potential! I love the idea of having maps and directions type information displayed on my glasses when I'm driving. Or maybe a list of ingredients when you're out shopping.

Also, don't be a glasshole.
    Yeah, I'm not sure we as a culture need another technology to take us even further outside the environments we inhabit. And ... on one hand that's something this could be. It sort of promises to be something to overlay data in helpful more integrative ways.

I mean, it certainly could raise the bar for games you could play with geocaching, right?

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Yeah! It's such a cool idea, such potential! I love the idea of having maps and directions type information displayed on my glasses when I'm driving. Or maybe a list of ingredients when you're out shopping.

Yeah, I'm not sure we as a culture need another technology to take us even further outside the environments we inhabit. And ... on one hand that's something this could be. It sort of promises to be something to overlay data in helpful more integrative ways.

I mean, it certainly could raise the bar for games you could play with geocaching, right?
    I like the idea of having a HUD...but glasses aren't all that ergonomic and the voice UI is too ... public. I'll wait until they start implanting thought controlled chips in our visual cortices. (Talk about direct to consumer advertising)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I like the idea of having a HUD...but glasses aren't all that ergonomic and the voice UI is too ... public. I'll wait until they start implanting thought controlled chips in our visual cortices. (Talk about direct to consumer advertising)
    The audio on Google Glass is through bone conduction, so it shouldn't be audible to other people. At least that's my understanding of it. Users who describe it say that it isn't very loud to the user and that other people around you can't hear it. When you say glasses aren't that ergonomic, I take it you're not just wearing them anyway like a lot of us?

Type
    INTP
    Played around with Glass a couple weekends ago.

Downside: the default setting for the device only allows the display to be on for about ~15 seconds at a time. To reactivate the thing, you constantly have to be giving bro-nods to your imaginary bros. It feels a bit ridiculous.

Secondary downside: it isn't quite a hands-free device. Scrolling is much easier with the scrolling temple pad than using the voice interface.

Since a surgeon was showing me the device, he was all, "Hey, Rhu! Look at these neat videos I took of me sawing into this guy's guts! Why... are you getting so pale?" Luckily his videos were also limited to about ten seconds apiece; the device needed to regularly flush its buffers and sync its recordings with his phone.

He did point out some other potential uses for it: calling up charts and visualizations by voice without having to cross a room or lose focus on what he was doing.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post

The audio on Google Glass is through bone conduction, so it shouldn't be audible to other people. At least that's my understanding of it. Users who describe it say that it isn't very loud to the user and that other people around you can't hear it. When you say glasses aren't that ergonomic, I take it you're not just wearing them anyway like a lot of us?
    I split my time between glasses or contacts depending on which I find more annoying at the moment. I'd get the surgery except stigmatica had complications with his that left him permanently screwed. Plus he is resistant to the local anesthesia so when they scraped all the scar tissue off his cornea he could feel everything ... took about an hour. He had to hold perfectly still the whole time, and one of his eyes is permanently messed up. Left me with an irrational fear of Lasik.

I had bone conduction headphones when I was a swimmer. Worked really well, but only underwater. But I was referring to the having to talk to them as far as privacy goes. I don't want everyone knowing that I suddenly just have to know how many suckers are on an octopus tentacle in the middle of dinner.

A: 240
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 04-29-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INxP
    There are competitors to Glass coming down the pipe that are doing some interesting things as well:

iOptic uses a hybrid contact/glass combo to achieve fully panoramic AR capabilities, without implementing a dorky/bulky HUD.

Space Glasses are another, somewhat awkward iteration of the technology.

See also Atheer Labs
    Last edited by Noir; 04-29-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'll be interested in such things only when we finally have the processing power, algorithms, and display sophistication to give me reality augmenting adblock.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Can Google Glass do this?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein