Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Blue Screen of Death

  1. #1
    Member Ludvik's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39

    Blue Screen of Death

    Still on computers...I wonder if anyone here knows what's the best way to deal with the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)?...

    Here's the error code I get:

    ***STOP: 0X0000008E


    I'd really appreciate any sensible advice.

  2. #2
    ..you don't know me LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,160
    INTPx Award Winner
    When does it do it and how often?
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

  3. #3
    Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,267
    Internet seems to think that particular error code is connected to RAM issues, and more rarely drivers/power/hardware. People suggest downloading and running Memtest86 to check the RAM. If the RAM passes the test, it might be drivers/power supply/motherboard...

    But drivers are about the only one of those that doesn't invovle you buying something new to fix it (unless its just caused by a loose connection somewhere).

    What's the context? Which OS? New computer? Old computer? Happening repeatedly vs happened once?

  4. #4
    Member Ludvik's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    When does it do it and how often?
    I'd say...when I'm in the middle of multi-tasking. Not very often, once every 2-3 months, it actually surprises me everytime.

  5. #5
    Member Ludvik's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Internet seems to think that particular error code is connected to RAM issues, and more rarely drivers/power/hardware. People suggest downloading and running Memtest86 to check the RAM. If the RAM passes the test, it might be drivers/power supply/motherboard...

    But drivers are about the only one of those that doesn't invovle you buying something new to fix it (unless its just caused by a loose connection somewhere).

    What's the context? Which OS? New computer? Old computer? Happening repeatedly vs happened once?

    I've been running Memtest86, everything seems to be OK with RAM.

    It appears when I'm multi-tasking (internet + Office + ...). Old computer (2008) that I'm just using as a secondary now for very simple tasks. Windows XP. It has happened more than once, but not very often (once every 2-3 months) in the past year.

  6. #6
    ..you don't know me LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,160
    INTPx Award Winner
    No if it was a memory problem, it would happen a lot more frequently(like ten time more frequently at least).

    Note date and time of shut down and reboot.

    Click Start.
    Right Click My Computer
    Click Manage
    Expand Event Viewer
    Click System

    Find events leading up to the spontaneous shut down and post here. Or google them for insight. You can click the top part(on Type) of the window in which you are searching to sort by Type(severity) to make it faster.

    Also is this a latop? Does the fan rev up be fore shut down?
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

  7. #7
    Member Ludvik's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    No if it was a memory problem, it would happen a lot more frequently(like ten time more frequently at least).

    Note date and time of shut down and reboot.

    Click Start.
    Right Click My Computer
    Click Manage
    Expand Event Viewer
    Click System

    Find events leading up to the spontaneous shut down and post here. Or google them for insight. You can click the top part(on Type) of the window in which you are searching to sort by Type(severity) to make it faster.

    Also is this a latop? Does the fan rev up be fore shut down?

    Yes, it is a laptop. I have noted that whenever it shuts down, it is in a rather overheated state (fan rev up).

    Error details from Event Viewer:

    System Error, category 102

    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf85fc9e, parameter 9bffaae4, parameter4 0000.

  8. #8
    ..you don't know me LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,160
    INTPx Award Winner
    There isn't any info that points to a particular device or driver? What you should be looking for is the same type of error to establish recurrence is er reoccurring.

    The first thing I would check is if the cpu cooler has lint or other schmegma on it. Some laptops, it's a big job and almost the whole mobo has to be removed, some have a little door to access it.

    This why one should never use their laptop on their lap or their bed, towel or any other cloth.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

  9. #9
    Mistress Mischievous Lilith's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    584
    You might want to resort to Safe Mode and select System Restore.

    When you start your computer, press F8. Select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. When it boots up, select Administrator. A window will appear, select Yes to Safe Mode. Then go to the start menu and go to Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. In the date, choose the day before yesterday. Follow instructions, you should be fine.

    Let me know if this works.

    You may have known this already, just want to throw this in -- Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP.

  10. #10
    ..you don't know me LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,160
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mccrissanth View Post
    You may have known this already, just want to throw this in -- Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP.
    Sure they do. Another 10 days.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Similar Threads

  1. Why do we look at images of death and destruction?
    By notdavidlynch in forum Psychology & Sociology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •