Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Internships

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Unpaid Internships

Type
    intp
    But all the valuable experience of doing people's administrative tasks for no pay!

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    This is sort of the same way I feel about people who go to culinary school. That's even worse because you're straight-up paying to work.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I did my internship for a specific credential. No fucking way I'd do it just "for the experience."

Fuck you. Pay me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    xxxx
    i did one, so i sympathize with people who feel that they have to do that to get the training that college didn't give them, but generally i'm not for them. in my case, i feel it was a good choice as the name itself has gotten me interviews, but that's not going to be everyone's experience. half the time you're basically talking shit with the other lowly interns about how unfair and exploitative the whole thing is, but you're constantly being reminded that education is really fucking expensive, too. to get through the thing you become a master at the on/off attitude switch. shit like "push for all the training you can get, 'cause you're just paying for your education now with labor instead of money." i also wouldn't have been able to do it if my parents hadn't agreed to support me for the time being, so there's the issue of barriers of entry-- these industries that seem to rely so much on unpaid interns are basically closed off to the poor.

the hardest part was working for free, and not feeling like you were in the position to question possible discrimination in the workplace since you have no legal protections.

strangely, the power relationship between intern and supervisor was often unclear, in my case. who needs who? i was naive, and it kinda blew my mind how much creative industries especially seem to rely on unpaid skilled interns.

if you're good at something, do it for money. that's the principle i would go by now. unless you're doing fine in which case you can do whatever you want.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-24-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I have an unpaid internship, but I'm IN college and it's for college credit (so I guess I pay for it!). I thought it would be better than taking a class to fulfill the same requirement. I think more colleges should offer something like that. You get the benefits of having something to put on your resume and since you "work" for the college (well, I don't, I work for a nonprofit), you have a safety net of some sort in case shit gets fucked.

Type
    INFP
    great comic.

Sometimes I see listings by companies that want unpaid (undergraduate) interns to work 30 - 40 hours per week. It's crazy.

The CIA offers their interns something around $40,000 a semester.

edit

Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    I have an unpaid internship, but I'm IN college and it's for college credit (so I guess I pay for it!). I thought it would be better than taking a class to fulfill the same requirement. I think more colleges should offer something like that. You get the benefits of having something to put on your resume and since you "work" for the college (well, I don't, I work for a nonprofit), you have a safety net of some sort in case shit gets fucked.
    my college offers that too. In order to get the credit, you have to take a miniature "internship class" that meets a few times in the semester. You have to give two 15 minute presentations, write weekly linkedin blog entries about your learning experiences and you also have to upload a photo of yourself and your supervisor smiling together. It was sickening.
    Last edited by Blorg; 03-24-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by chobani View Post
    my college offers that too. In order to get the credit, you have to take a miniature "internship class" that meets a few times in the semester. You have to give two 15 minute presentations, write weekly linkedin blog entries about your learning experiences and you also have to upload a photo of yourself and your supervisor smiling together. It was sickening.
    That's shitty.

Mine allows you to pick and choose. For instance, I intern for a nonprofit that has nothing to do with my school (a professor I'm friendly with is a managing trustee). All I do is keep a log of shit I do and write a reflection paper at the end.

All I did to get it was send an email to my prof asking her, literally, "to hook a girl up."

I'm professional that way.

Type
    xNxx
    I've gotten several offers for people asking to intern with me. My standard response is evolving into "Bring us a gig."

Type
    INfj
    Yeah, I wouldn't even consider it. I can't afford to do a job for free, even if it's something I enjoy. I even started to make a small amount of money on my hobbies.

That said, I've talked to a few company representatives about internships (some of them American) and they all frown on the despicable practice. Granted, in some cases it's a 'stipend' like $6k or so for a 4-month term, which is really kinda pathetic, but at least it's enough to live on if you don't have many expenses (and meets minimum wage).

That's in the Tech sector, though. The influx of Brogrammers has left companies starving for demonstrably competent developers.
    Last edited by Resonance; 03-24-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.