Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a "Good" and "Bad"?

Type
    INTj

Is There a "Good" and "Bad"?

Or right and wrong?

Is it all just subjective based on our biological construct(s)?

Type
    INTP
    What's the difference?
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTj
    The question is: is there a difference?

EX: "Genocide is bad." "Philanthropy is good."

Type
    INTP
    Well I think the model of strict objective right and wrong has usefulness when trying to persuade people to do what you want.

I think the model of subjective/societal/biological imperatives makes more sense to describe what we actually see in the world.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    Well I think the model of strict objective right and wrong has usefulness when trying to persuade people to do what you want.

I think the model of subjective/societal/biological imperatives makes more sense to describe what we actually see in the world.
    So... no?

Type
    INTP
    I don't know what you mean by "our biological constructs" but there is a "good" and a "bad" because we say so and for no other reason.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "our biological constructs" but there is a "good" and a "bad" because we say so and for no other reason.
    By "our biological construct" I mean the hardwiring that makes us feel, the stuff that makes us human -- empathy....

What if I say there isn't a good and bad? Does that counteract you saying there is?

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, biological constructs or sociological?

Not to be obtuse but if there is or isn't what would be the difference? Is there something you're wishing to apply it against? Is this more akin to what is truth?

I don't know how far afield this is from what you're talking about but I am not a huge fan of moral relativity. I think people may have their own sense of what's right and wrong and use it as an excuse to do what they want even though internally they know it falls on their own wrong side. That said, I do think it's OK to put things in perspective. I can't even remember the situation but some total regimented STJ type was calling everyone out for moral relativism to make his point or preserve his point, I guess I should say. Oh, I think it had to do w/Richard Sherman following the NFC championship game and his comments. His comments where basically, "it's wrong, it's wrong, blah, blah, save the children." Fine, whatever, that's what you think. People would argue why it wasn't that big of deal and they are far worse things to damage kids out there, not to mention playing football itself.

He kept saying that players murdering someone else or doing recreational drugs does not negate what Sherman did as being wrong. Which, is true. My feeling, though I thought the guy was too moronic to argue with to bother to post, was that there's a thing called perspective. Him ranting and raving about "that kids are watching" and that somehow makes it more horrific is pale in comparison to the 3 1/2 hour of erectile dysfunction and beer ads they've just been soaking up w/out a filter. Does one make the other better or worse, probably not. In fact, I'd go so far to say no, they do not. But because they both exist in the same universe that he seems to have no objection to existing in the first place and that kids are allowed to view (not sure if the guy had kids himself), my first thought is F- him and his sh#t stained hobby high horse he rode in on. And really in that case, the truth has always existed in that world, he's just now in shock for seeing it first hand. There can be an argument over what is right and what is wrong but that could definitely change based on being naivety.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    By "our biological construct" I mean the hardwiring that makes us feel, the stuff that makes us human -- empathy....
    I had started my post before seeing this.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

What if I say there isn't a good and bad? Does that counteract you saying there is?
    Sure. It's up to you. If we disagree, we disagree.