Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High school reunions

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

High school reunions

I suspect I already know the answer for many of you but indulge me.

Did you go? Are you planning on going? What motivated that decision? Are there people that you've kept in touch with from high school, or people that you wish you had kept in touch with?

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    my answer right now is "fuck no" cuz fuck no. maybe if i was wildly successful and i wanted to get back at someone but i can't think of anyone i hate/d that much.

i've kept in touch with a few people and among them it's a mixed bag. some are where i am, sorta-- floating along in a seemingly aimless way but doing fine mostly. others are doing fine but totally settled into their same boring lives but 100x more intense in the Boring and they hate it but won't do anything about it 'cause they don't know what's out there 'cause they never left home. it's just really fucking weird to me. they're still gossiping about the same people. i'm just not in the same universe as them anymore.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    I went. Glad I did. Some women still managed to find a way to rig a popularity contest but most people didn't care. I wish other people had been in charge of organizing it because some of that same bs SJ crew were the cause of others not showing. They also could've done a better job finding people. There were events over 3 days. Saw different people each time, which was cool. Some people I hit it off with pretty well. Did a crap job staying in touch afterwards. Some people are a bit fake. Some may surprise you. You'll often talk to spouses more than the people you went to school with. I'd say go.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Did you go? Are you planning on going? What motivated that decision?
    No.

Really, it just came down to having no reason to. Its a part of my life I really had no connection to while it was happening, and it has even less of a connection now.

The wife didn't go to hers, but she did get together with some old friends that were in town for it before hand. That seems emminently more sensible to me. Every now and then there will be some social event where i'll see a couple of people from earlier parts in my life, and its not unpleasant per se, but we've all moved on and for many I have even less in common now than I did back then. Someone always says something along the lines of "but don't you want to show up those bastards" or something like that, but to be honest I didn't give general people from highschool a thought while I was there, and i haven't for a day since. Truth be told I'd be hard pressed to remember who the fark half of them were...

Type
    INTP
    I've been to several, enjoyed them but didn't stick around too long. Odds are I'll skip the next one.

Type
    INTP
    I never really had a real high school reunion. There was a 10 yr. one - sort of. Someone pretty much posted on facebook - "Hey. Since it doesn't seem like anyone is planning a 10 yr. reunion lets all meet at this bar on this date." I happened to already have other plans that night so I didn't go, but I probably wouldn't have gone either way. I'm not going to travel out of state to meet up for a couple hours at some bar. That and there's very few people from high school that I'm interested in seeing again.

Type
    intp
    I graduated from a class of ~100 students and many live within 50 miles of the school. I think that if I had enough indication that others were traveling back for the reunion I would consider going. Despite knowing most of them through 13 years of school, I had so many insecurities and religious issues that I didn't appreciate how many good people there actually were. I have a lot of regrets from my Christian days. I'm not sure if I could get over my issues without getting embarressingly drunk, though, so maybe it's better to stay away.

Type
    INTP
    I never go. The people I want to be in touch with, I still am. I'm not interested in the rest.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    IXXP
    There were fourteen of us, six of whom went though all twelve years together (no kindergarten then).
    Some are dead, one is in prison, but a few I still correspond with occasionally.

Never went to a reunion.
    But I think I would like to go to one before I die more for curiosity than for anything else.
    To see how the old place feels and if there is any sense of how it was then in how it is now.

Since the school was/is so small the reunions are for all it's graduating classes at once when they happen which turns out to be fewer people than a single graduating class of most others.

Type
    INTP
    I went to my 10 and 20 year ones. Since I am from a smallish town (with just one high school) I couldn't help but be acquainted with most of my classmates (both in and out of school). I enjoyed the reunions well enough. The 10 year one was kind of fun since people were still young enough to get a bit drunk and have fun, and the 20 year one a few people who had not come to the 10 year one traveled long distances to attend. These were some of the more successful career types, and also the more scholarly types that I knew better back in school, so I was curious to see them.