Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea strategies

Type
    INFP

Tea strategies

What are your favorite kinds of tea?

Do you normally use loose leaves or tea bags?

Do you micromanage temperatures?

Do you have a kettle (what kind?), or do you use the microwave?

Etc.: details about your tea process.

I don't use an infuser. When I'm not using tea bags, I just put the leaves in the water and they sink naturally. That way its easier to reuse the leaves: you just pour more water on top of them after you finish a cup. It seems like the second cup usually tastes better.

Type
    INxP
    Strong black tea. The kind you find in Ireland. With a drop of milk.

Loose leaves?! Are you nuts?!

Nope. I delegate temperatures to the kettle.

Yep. Electric. My current one is blue I think, I can't remember.

Third mutherfuckers! Suck on our bronze medal for tea-drinking!

Type
    xxxx
    for work days i keep it simple with iced black or green tea with honey. i'm pressed for time in the morning so i use tea bags. i use an electric water pot, melt honey in a shallow cup of water, pour that into a glass bottle, add more water and tea bag and steep, then cool the whole thing with ice cubes.

i live around a lot of tea houses. for something fancier/better i'm willing to pay since i'm currently out of the good stuff that i got from traveling. i'm planning on growing a tea plant in my backyard and preparing my own.

Type
    INTP
    I like the regular Good Earth tea, iced, sometimes with a little raw sugar. Iced green tea is good, too, sans sweetener. Sometimes out of nostalgia I make black tea with milk and a little sugar, like I drink it in Ireland. All of those are in bags. I use loose tea leaves to make chai (real chai, not the pre-mixed packets maddeningly mislabeled "chai tea").
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    Brewing a good cup is such a pain. I haven't bothered in over a year. Never had decent bagged tea, save for some green/herbal, which I'm not quite as fond of.

My favorite tea is Darjeeling, brewed strong with loose leaves. I also like an even ratio of ceylon and assam leaves for black tea (I prefer the bright, "citrusy" taste to the overtly malty kind common with most English and Irish Breakfast blends). I use boiling water and a simple filter.

Type
    INTP
    Mate, gunpowder, gunmaicha, kava, and chamomile. Sometimes mint teas, but those are more if I'm making a toddy.

Loose if I have the option, though I'll use bagged tea for some things. I haven't found bulk Kava recently so I'm stuck using the Yogi brand stuff. I use an Ingenuitea mostly. Teaballs seem to allow more silt.

Sometimes, if I feel like it, I'll use an IR laser to dial in the temperature.

I use a kettle. Currently it's a brass one. On a stovetop. Electric kettles are for eurotrash. Microwaving water is worse than that.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    One lipton bag in a mug, fill with water, microwave for 2 minutes.

I'm sure there are better options but it fits so unintrusively into my morning routine and is working out better than coffee. When I run out of the lipton I might look for a better tea but I bought the huge pack at costco a long time ago in order to make sun tea and I have enough to last me for months.

Type
    INTP
    I believe that, even if you buy a premium brand (in whatever form), North America is the dumping ground for bad tea.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by chobani View Post
    I don't use an infuser. When I'm not using tea bags, I just put the leaves in the water and they sink naturally. That way its easier to reuse the leaves: you just pour more water on top of them after you finish a cup. It seems like the second cup usually tastes better.
    with loose leaf teas i'll use an infuser and steep the teas multiple times depending on what kind it is. that's just the way you do it with oolong and green teas and it's supposed to be good if not better after the first steeping. it doesn't work as well with black teas, ime.

i like using tea bags 'cause it's just convenient. my mom makes an awesome ginger/flower tea with goji berries sweetened with rock sugar (idk all the ingredients, but it's one of my favs) and i help her bag it sometimes.

i'm a fan of drinking tea like it's water. then again i'm chinese so it's partly that. strong tea culture.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    No, it's just that I like to think outside the bag, live on the edge, cultivate freedom: unlike you. And you may be number 3 but we're number 1 even when we're number 69 because of our spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    One lipton bag in a mug, fill with water, microwave for 2 minutes.

I'm sure there are better options but it fits so unintrusively into my morning routine and is working out better than coffee. When I run out of the lipton I might look for a better tea but I bought the huge pack at costco a long time ago in order to make sun tea and I have enough to last me for months.
    I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    with loose leaf teas i'll use an infuser and steep the teas multiple times depending on what kind it is. that's just the way you do it with oolong and green teas and it's supposed to be good if not better after the first steeping. it doesn't work as well with black teas, ime.

i like using tea bags 'cause it's just convenient. my mom makes an awesome ginger/flower tea with goji berries sweetened with rock sugar (idk all the ingredients, but it's one of my favs) and i help her bag it sometimes.

i'm a fan of drinking tea like it's water. then again i'm chinese so it's partly that. strong tea culture.
    interesting. I never noticed a decline in black tea flavor in the second cup, but my taste buds aren't top-quality.

I just got this berry/flower tea and it's completely delicious. Now I want to make some tea from nothing-- grow a tea garden or something-- I never did that before.