Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INTP + INTP couples

Type
    INTP

INTP + INTP couples

Any experience with INTP INTP couples? Are they too similar? Can we date ourselves? Do they only see their own flaws in the other? Are they better off as friends?

I'm just curious.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    Any experience with INTP INTP couples? Are they too similar? Can we date ourselves? Do they only see their own flaws in the other? Are they better off as friends?

I'm just curious.
    I can't imagine this pairing would be too conducive to developing that dastardly ol' inferior Fe. And while it's all relative to the individuals, I imagine while it would feel good to have a partner that gets the need for space and the pursuit of our hobbies and projects, I just see that pairing reinforcing our introversion/isolation tendencies*

Unless one part that pairing was really willing to extend outside the general INTP emotional spectrum comfort zone, I imagine they'd both lack that emotional closeness most INTPs desire, despite never knowing/acknowledging that they do in fact desire it.

*not that there's anything wrong with that -- Que the Seinfeld references*

Type
    xxxx
    relationship chemistry isn't the kind of thing you can accurately, reliably predict. people are people and the whole of their personality/temperament, culture, history etc. can't be reduced to mere type. with that said i did the intp+intp thing before and now i know i'm never letting mbti dictate a relationship again. we weren't a good match, and i was really fucking unhappy and starved for emotional intimacy.

i could probably date another intp who was like myself in the way that i find importance in being balanced and multidimensional. generally however i don't put much stock in mbti anymore, especially when it comes to relationships.

the topic of mbti hasn't even come up in my current relationship (which is the complete opposite experience), although we test intp and entp iirc, so it's not that "in theory" we're that far off. it really does come down to individual qualities and values, imo.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 12-23-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Type
    intp
    I've been dating someone who identifies as xntp, and it's going pretty alright in a very P sort of way. It's nice that my emotional flakiness is expected, rather than simply tolerated.

Type
    INTP
    I'm in one now. We live together and it works well on account of not only how different we are in other ways, but because we also each appreciate what the other brings to the table to balance out the other. Shared introversion makes for a world of us and everyone else. We're picking away at that a little now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm not sure what the fallout will be, but the pejoratives will be glorious.

Type
    INTP
    It can work.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    I can't say I have any experience dating INTP women, but among the few I've met IRL as friends and whatnot otherwise ... while we seem to get along just fine (quite refreshingly naturally, even), there's just this total lack of "spark" if that makes any sense. Like not even the tiniest iota of attraction or fascination in the sense that would inspire romantic and/or sexual desires. More like just a meeting of like minds which could give rise to a sort of passive friendship, or something. Perhaps, for me anyhow, there needs to be some mismatch in personality?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm sure that for some people this can work just fine. Like Ptah, I've generally found my experience of meeting other INTPs to be quite positive in that they're easy and comfortable to be around. But I've yet to feel much of a spark or attraction to one.

I'm not sure what my current partner would test as. Perhaps ENTP. I find that I need someone to declare interest and give the relationship a little push to get things going. Extroverts seem to do that for me. Introverts, not so much.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Type
    INTP
    I think it depends on the strength of your preferences. The problem with me and another strong P is that nothing ever gets done. I don't need a full-on J but someone with a mild P preference or a mild J preference would be more conducive to a lasting relationship.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.