Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Jobs

Type
    XXXX

Thumbs up Nightmare Jobs

What are the worst jobs you have had? What made them so terrible? Tell me a story about the hellish conditions, and/or injustices that you faced. Bitch about horrendous management, lament the idiots you worked with, rage about how you're currently in a nightmare job.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Nothing all that bad, I suppose.

PIRGing (door to door fundraising for political lobbying campaigns) was about the most soul-crushing, depressing thing I've ever done, but I was asking for it taking the job in the first place. You'd think circulating petitions would be better (I hate asking people for money even when I'm selling something--being someone else's hired beggar is pretty much hell for me), but in reality it was just about as bad.

I never lasted more than a month at either of them. Good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Restaurant work sucks. It's not so much the work or the customers, its the people you work with, particularly the managers. I'm sure things are different at the high end, but that's not the end I was working on. People generally don't go into low paid restaurant work because rocket science wasn't challenging enough. You get some real gems managing shitty family restaurants.

Type
    INTP
    Photographer's assistant. It wasn't the actual job that sucked. It was the fact that the photographer asked me to sleep with him on my third day on the job. That and I never got paid because he somehow lost my paperwork and there was never any proof that I ever worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Restaurant work sucks. It's not so much the work or the customers, its the people you work with, particularly the managers. I'm sure things are different at the high end, but that's not the end I was working on. People generally don't go into low paid restaurant work because rocket science wasn't challenging enough. You get some real gems managing shitty family restaurants.
    No, not really. In my experience, in the nicer restaurants the pay tends to be shittier and the people even more fucked up.

My worst cooking job was probably at the Broadway Grill in Seattle though - not a high-end establishment by any means but something of an institution and I'm surprised but not saddened to see that they're closing. I took the job out of desperation because the pay was awful even for cooking, and soon after I was hired I learned that every single cook except one had been there less than two months. Restaurants have high turnover but that's ridiculous. Nobody knew what the fuck they were doing. On my first day somebody set me on fire and when an actual rat ran over my foot while working the line I was told that "we don't use the word 'rat'. Call them 'cupcakes', in case a customer overhears". The dry storage room smelled strongly of rat shit, like a fucking barn. The "chef" was neck-deep in alcohol addiction which was completely obvious to all of us. He drank the boxed wine meant for cooking all day, left by 4 or 5pm and would come back a couple hours later with his boyfriend, falling down drunk, to get free food in the middle of the rush. He kept half of the prep recipes secret for "job security". Oh and one of the servers had a crush on me which turned into constant harassment, mocking by all the servers and being groped while I was working which everyone thought was hilarious.

My worst baking job was at Mighty-O in Seattle, the only vegan donut shop I've ever heard of. They were just chronically understaffed and I ended up working 80-hour weeks for several months, graveyard shift, by myself, with a used, refurbished conveyor belt fryer that was constantly breaking down and a ridiculous production quota that I had to bust my ass every single night to meet. I was also desperate for a paycheck when I took that job but it nearly broke me. This experience was a big part of finally motivating me to figure out how to go to school.

Type
    INTP
    Check reconciliation for a university.

I "worked" for about 2 days, then I started getting really high and playing chess on the computer for another week or so, then I stopped showing up all together. I started to work on figuring out a way the job could be almost entirely automated before giving up on it. It's just mindless and terrible. My supervisor was one of those dull cheerful people that make me consider mass murder.

Type
    INTP
    Cold calling for leads at a stock brokerage firm.

Type
    INTP
    Working for an ENTJ.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Executive Assistant for a medical school.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I think I expressed in one of my other threads how I worked at a place where IT wanted to block pictures from the internet because they might contain viruses.

Truth be told, none of my jobs have been bad compared to real BAD jobs. They're just more dilbert-esque.

In my previous role, I had to work with a senior executive. I would tell people that I was unsure as to whether he was suffering from early (he must of been 50 or 60, so its not that early) onset dimentia or whether he was just an idiot. I honestly dreaded every single fucking meeting I had with this guy, because you literally had no idea what was going to happen or how he would interpret what you said.

He would tell you to go away and make some graphs, then berrate you for having made graphs in the next meeting, then in the next meeting ask why you hadn't done those graphs yet, then in the next meeting compliment you for something you hadn't ever done.

Entire work programs of several staff members were being designated to investigate this man's delusions, and there are figures out there in official reports which are signed off by academics/higher ups of multi-member committees which are basically non-sensical as far as I can tell because they were presumably taking advice from this dinglebat about what to do and no one had the balls to just say "DUDES, DOES ANYONE ELSE REALISE THIS MAN IS FUCKING INSANE!".

He did not like to recieve figures in excel spreadsheets, or word documents, so he sent out a directive that NUMERICAL TABLES AND DOCUMENTS HAD TO BE MANUALLY COPIED INTO THE TEXT/BODY OF THE EMAIL ITSELF.

In short, he's basically the reason i transferred out. He "retired" recently, i found out. I don't know if that is actual retirement of his own volition, or whether it is "retirement" like old yella being taken behind the barn. Either way, I salute "the speed bump". So called because all work programs had to practically slow to a stop as they approached his desk...