Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Ideas

Type
    xNxx

Music Ideas

Just trying to jog some shit loose.

I made this thing recently that I call a chordifier (in ableton live). What happens is this:

One midi pitch gets received, and split into four pitches at intervals from the original pitch. This set of four pitches is sent through a quantizer. That means you play a melody and it is turned into a chord melody. I believe this is similar to how harmonizer pedals work.

So how do we improve it beyond that?

It'd be amazing to split the keyboard down the middle- where the left hand plays chords and the right hand plays melodies that are pitched and quantized in the same way- that would actually yield something that sounds like chick corea pedaling over a mode by doodling aimlessly on keys. Think about a jazz musician's technique: at a meta-level, they are really just making broad shapes, moving up and down the keyboard in time, but the gestures are corrected to pitch sets and scales.

Where my mental draft fails is in the richness of information, because jazz musicians use loads of conventions by which they switch quickly between pitch sets and modulate.

I wonder if there's an Ableton/max way to make a quantizer that "reads" the left hand chords and turns it into a pitch set for the right.

It could be made more interesting and less predictable by scanning for things like dyads and extrapolating pitch set data from that.

Time to go dig through some plugins.

Type
    ENTP
    Just subscribing to this thread in case I ever man up and acquire a decent program (and learn how to use it)
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    I wonder if there's an Ableton/max way to make a quantizer that "reads" the left hand chords and turns it into a pitch set for the right.
    You mean like vocal harmonizers do by following the guitar input signal? I'm sure the same technique could follow and provide harmony for any polychomatic analog input. But I have no experience with Ableton nor any clue if you could do this with it.

Type
    ENTP
    Actually, I did have a comment here. A long time ago, I downloaded a torrented copy of FL Studio, and I had a decent time trying to write music with it. But the interface was incredibly nonintuitive to me - it seemed either incapable of being used as a composition medium, or very badly designed. I had no support, since I stole it, so eventually I just gave up.

Recently, I downloaded Garage Band, and realized in a matter of moments that Apple designed the perfect product for me (i.e. Logic), because everything worked exactly like I expected it to. Obviously, Garage Band is very limited in its capabilities, so I'm interested in getting a hold of Logic Pro X and playing. But I don't have a Mac.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything - but is it actually worth
    a) creating a Hackintosh from my current machine
    b) going and buying a Mac for this sole reason, even though I don't want one otherwise
    to satisfy a calling in which I believe I have talent?

I have little to no interest in the technical intricacies of sound - for example, I can't see myself investing the time it takes to get good at mixing - I care mainly about the composition piece... What do?

Type
    xNxx
    Fruity loops is great. Garage band has more of a cybernetic edge for sure. You might try reaper, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Some folks frown on FL studio. I dig it immensely.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    ENTP
    It could be that I just never learned how to use it. It also could be that what I want to use it for is not well suited for how it's designed. I really just need to sit down with someone who knows what they're doing, show them what I want to do, then ask them what program I need.

Type
    xNxx
    Or do a couple tutorials and be content with the flaws of the world, and then get into programming better apps in 20 years.

Type
    xNxx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTaRvjkvpSg

there's a piano roll tutorial for floops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6wiprVraSc

there's a midi keyboard recording tute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFaWsbvTlg

beat sampling tutorial

….

logic would be pretty similar.

Type
    ENTP
    Very cool, thanks for posting. I'll take a look at these before I go to the effort of creating a Hackintosh. I'm sure the programs are all very similar in their core capabilities, and at my level of proficiency, it's unlikely there are specific features I'd be paralyzed without - I'm just commenting on the intuitive aspects, how easy it is or isn't to locate whatever I'm looking for.

I'll put it more effort before I bitch more.