Page 188 of 208 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2076

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    How is that vain? I don't understand. Pretty much all media is consumed in order to evoke specific emotions.

I generally have to be really tired or stressed out for something to make me cry, but when it happens it does make me feel better. It's a bit of a relief, like an overflow valve letting out some of the pressure.
    Crying is a response, not a resolution.

If you feel a need to cry, there's a problem. Some problems don't have solutions and crying is as close as you're going to get to one. I understand that. But if your response to feeling a tug toward crying is to find a movie or a song or a book to induce tears, you're not only not addressing the problem, you aren't even acknowledging its existence. It's one thing to do so when the subject matter resonates with what is upsetting you, but this was talking about having things for universal use to create a crying jag. It's a false catharsis.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 01-07-2018 at 03:13 AM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Crying is a response, not a resolution.

If you feel a need to cry, there's a problem. Some problems don't have solutions and crying is as close as you're going to get to one. I understand that. But if your response to feeling a tug toward crying is to find a movie or a song or a book to induce tears, you're not only not addressing the problem, you aren't even acknowledging its existence. It's one thing to do so when the subject matter resonates with what is upsetting you, but this was talking about having things for universal use to create a crying jag. It's a false catharsis.
    I disagree. I think you're thinking about this from a limited perspective, focusing on 'crying' as necessarily a kind of negative thing, tied up to there being a problem. For some, that may be accurate, but for others, they would enjoy experiencing the emotions just for their own sake.

Similarly, some people seek out movies specifically to induce within them happy emotions, or the feeling of being afraid. I think some of it is for the novelty of experiencing that, but also some kind of human thing where we just enjoy sort of hypothetically placing ourselves within those scenarios, in a 'pretend' sense (e.g. the reason we like to read fictional stories).

To me, the assertion that something must be wrong with you if you go out of your way to watch movies that make you cry, is the same as to say there's something wrong if you seek out horror films to feel afraid, or comedy films to make yourself laugh.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I disagree. I think you're thinking about this from a limited perspective, focusing on 'crying' as necessarily a kind of negative thing, tied up to there being a problem. For some, that may be accurate, but for others, they would enjoy experiencing the emotions just for their own sake.

Similarly, some people seek out movies specifically to induce within them happy emotions, or the feeling of being afraid. I think some of it is for the novelty of experiencing that, but also some kind of human thing where we just enjoy sort of hypothetically placing ourselves within those scenarios, in a 'pretend' sense (e.g. the reason we like to read fictional stories).

To me, the assertion that something must be wrong with you if you go out of your way to watch movies that make you cry, is the same as to say there's something wrong if you seek out horror films to feel afraid, or comedy films to make yourself laugh.
    While I find emotions as entertainment to be as enlightening an observation as it is horrific, and I realize I left this off, the whole point of the discussion was relating that they were proud their son had come up with a movie he would go to to make himself cry. The context was that this was a mental/emotional health thing.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    The Collector, shortly followed by The Collection

These must be the worst-reviewed horror movies I've ever loved. Seriously, both were awesome. I can't comment on Saw comparisons because I was utterly bored with the first Saw movie and haven't watched any since. The soundtracks are what really make these movies, in my opinions. Not just the score but most of the audio effects, so much fun.

Type
    INTP
    I don't know if this should go in the Unpop Opin thread but I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Paul Thomas Anderson films. I can never seem to remember what films Wes Anderson did and which ones belong to Paul. I'll now associate the pretentiousness of having to go by three names with PT's self indulgent films. That'll make it a lot easier.

Phantom Thread - Totally forgot an Anderson was behind the film until after the end credits rolled. It was only two hours yet it seemed like that movie. would. not. end! I was re-assessing life goals & choices as I sat there. I didn't even recognize any pattern or signature feature to know PT was behind it. But then, maybe I would if I ever liked his films. Boogie Nights was the closest and even that I found overrated and a bit of a disappointment. Phantom Thread should more likely be known as Daniel Day Lewis' last film. I seriously doubt he'll stay retired but that's what he's saying.

Anyway, Phantom Menace, err, Thread, is about a narcissistic, renown British dressmaker in the 1950s. He meets a clumsy, working girl and immediately takes her in to be his companion, dress model, muse and emotional trash dumpster. She's needy and co-dependent, so it's just perfect for her. I can't remember disliking characters this much since Cloverfield. Music was heavy handed, though it prolly saved a few scenes. Performances weren't bad. There's a part of me that felt like the film needed a warning label, like, do not try this at home, these maneuvers were performed on a closed set by trained professionals because seriously there was some serious bad behavior on full display. At first he starts out a little OCD drama queen, then I started to wonder what's the point. It wasn't interesting nor compelling. Just PTA making excuses for his own selfish behavior he tries to makes in the megalomaniacs he features as misunderstood geniuses in his film, like Phil Seymour Hoffman in The Master.

This is not to say that there wasn't some high calibre performing. He did do an excellent job of casting. IDK, there prolly could've been something there more substantial in digging to the bottom of what makes an artist tick or what happens when they do reach perfection but that wasn't something PT was interest in and that ultimately made me uninterested in the film.

Type
    intp
    Their Darkest Hour. This was a screenplay and subsequent book by Kiwi writer Anthony McCarten. Not very loosely based on the period of the war when Chamberlain was forced to resign, Halifax turned down the Prime Ministership and Churchill was thrown a hospital pass. Wikipedia has a good account of the period which pretty closely reflects the movie.

This is a pretty powerful movie and I was surprised how much it moved me. There was even a little "Argo" moment when Churchill was on the phone to Roosevelt asking for warships and was turned down (only in this case it was true).

Apparently it was a far closer run thing than I knew that the UK didn't chuck in the towel and negotiate for peace.

Models exist for the kind of fireworks he delivered three times in May and early June 1940 – notably the speech of Marcus Antonius in defence of Aquillius, during which Antonius tore open the tunic of Aquillius to reveal his battle scars – but the British House of Commons and the British public had heard nothing like it. With words, Churchill changed the political mood and shored up the nervous will of the people, compelling them down an uncertain road that – eventually, and against the odds, and with all the sacrifice Churchill predicted (and then some!) – ended in total victory.

It is some story. When Churchill died, it was said of him that in those dark days in 1940, when Britain stood alone before a monstrous enemy, he mobilised the English language and sent it into battle. This isn’t merely a pretty metaphor. Words were really all he had. But if you are to be left with only one thing to fight with, then the lesson must be: you could do a lot worse.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Their Darkest Hour. This was a screenplay and subsequent book by Kiwi writer Anthony McCarten. Not very loosely based on the period of the war when Chamberlain was forced to resign, Halifax turned down the Prime Ministership and Churchill was thrown a hospital pass. Wikipedia has a good account of the period which pretty closely reflects the movie.

This is a pretty powerful movie and I was surprised how much it moved me. There was even a little "Argo" moment when Churchill was on the phone to Roosevelt asking for warships and was turned down (only in this case it was true).

Apparently it was a far closer run thing than I knew that the UK didn't chuck in the towel and negotiate for peace.
    Coming from the West Midlands I take a dim view of Churchill. He let Birmingham and Coventry get carpet bombed whilst leaving then unprotected to help London. He was also responsible for the carnage at Galipoli which my great grandfather was injured in 9before being sent to the Somme). Grade A twat.

As far as I am concerned Churchill and other of his class, were the monstrous enemy.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    Coming from the West Midlands I take a dim view of Churchill. He let Birmingham and Coventry get carpet bombed whilst leaving then unprotected to help London. He was also responsible for the carnage at Galipoli which my great grandfather was injured in 9before being sent to the Somme). Grade A twat.

As far as I am concerned Churchill and other of his class, were the monstrous enemy.

Hey djm, how've you been? Was thinking about you the other day.

Yeah, it's surprising he isn't thought of more poorly here after the Dardanelles disaster... then again the whole war was a collossal fuckup.

Still... it'd be interesting to think about what would have happened after a negotiated peace. We wouldn't have had to suffer through 40 years of British car imports probably.

Type
    INTP
    I just saw "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri", I chose that over Darkest Hour because I also think Churchill was a scum bag.

Three Bill Boards was absolutely Brilliant.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    because I also think Churchill was a scum bag.

Jawohl mein fraulein. if Halifax had accepted the Prime Ministership, we'd be living in a different world.