Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224
Results 2,231 to 2,239 of 2239

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Good place to point out: they're Disney Princesses.
    I still wouldn't throw the Disney Princess under that particular bus.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Posing blank-slate heroines is nigh Stepford Wives-esque to me... I mean, what does Rei in Star Wars or Captain Marvel tell girls? Be what everyone else with an opinion or agenda wants you to be?
    Its marketing, economics and movies designed as product.

If you want to maximise your return on a corporate movie, you're going to show it in america, china, india, etc. And you need to show it in both cities and country areas. But to do that then you need literal blank characters and as few genuine themes or characteristics as possible, because odds are you'll offend someone, get banned in some country, knock out a target market.

So you get modern studio movies: generic cgi action scenes, product and location placements, no meaningful plot or themes (other than superficial good guys/bad guys at best), and a heap of blank slate characters with limited characterization.

Rei's intended connection with girls is literally that she's a girl...and nothing else.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    You about gave me a heart attack. Unless my google-fu is wrong, Schrader is very much alive.
    What?! Well, this is good news. Now I'm wondering who freckin' died?? I can't believe I screwed that up. Not Paul Mazursky, cuz he's been gone a few years. I coulda sworn I heard an interview w/Ethan Hawke talking about it like it was his last film, too. I had a few people lamenting some director's passing they had worked for and how much they learned from him. Well, good, I can hopefully have that convo megachurches and cultural blindspots. (I'll report back when/if that happens. )

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    It shouldn't be a surprise, I guess, that younger people prefer blank-slatesque characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I think it's less younger people as a whole as much as major companies attempting to target specifically 14-21 girls. There is a concerted push to redirect what have been traditionally male targeted properties to girls and someone's weird idea on how to do it is by making "blank-slate" women. It's weird, and I have no idea if it's effective... But it definitely seems counterintuitive.

Speaking as once being a little boy, dynamic male heroes had personalities that you emulated or minimally existed in some kind of story that could act as a metaphor for your own.
    Yeah, this is part of what I can't put my finger on. The thing that made Taylor Swift, Britney, Kylie Jenner, Gal Gadot, Paris Hilton and Alexandria OC so big falls under the buzzword that was so popular 7-10 years ago, Aspire. It's always been there and why people got mad at Madonna wearing half shirts with boy toy written across her chest or Christina Aguilera doing a video with her ass cheeks hanging out of her chaps, tween girls look up to that stuff. As I sat there watching Captain Marvel I wondered would tween girls aspire to be Brie Larson - Captain Marvel. Not would they want to be an Oscar winning actress or star in a Marvel film but pose like her they way women and girls to this day pose like the silhouettes of Charlie's Angels? Would they recite lines of dialog like they did from Gilmore Girls or Buffy? No shame in Brie's attempt or rendition, but I wonder if it isn't as forgettable as Emma Stone's portrayal in the Amazing Spiderman?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Yeah, this is part of what I can't put my finger on. The thing that made Taylor Swift, Britney, Kylie Jenner, Gal Gadot, Paris Hilton and Alexandria OC so big falls under the buzzword that was so popular 7-10 years ago, Aspire. It's always been there and why people got mad at Madonna wearing half shirts with boy toy written across her chest or Christina Aguilera doing a video with her ass cheeks hanging out of her chaps, tween girls look up to that stuff. As I sat there watching Captain Marvel I wondered would tween girls aspire to be Brie Larson - Captain Marvel. Not would they want to be an Oscar winning actress or star in a Marvel film but pose like her they way women and girls to this day pose like the silhouettes of Charlie's Angels? Would they recite lines of dialog like they did from Gilmore Girls or Buffy? No shame in Brie's attempt or rendition, but I wonder if it isn't as forgettable as Emma Stone's portrayal in the Amazing Spiderman?
    I frequently aspired to be the male character in movies and television when I was in my formative years. I did not aspire to be a male, but rather to be the kind of person the male characters were. I didn't want to be a princess, I wanted to be a jedi. (I went so far as to write short stories in which a third Skywalker sibling existed who was a Jedi...yeah, she and I shared a first name. Not very subtle, I know. "Sista" Skywalker was a total badass...probably a bit of a Mary Sue, but I was 9, so I won't be embarrassed about that.) I didn't want to be Uhura, I wanted to be Spock. In the rare cases where the female character was the one I aspired to be like, it was pretty cool (like Wonder Woman). I think many of my female peers, rather than aspiring to be like the male character they most admired, aspired to be loved by the male character they most admired ... which is pretty much the same thing as aspiring to be like the female characters in the movies and television they were watching I guess. I think I came across as a bit weird to most of my female peers.

I think maybe I can't tell how CM will be received by the girls of today. It's a very different world we live in. Maybe having the badass be a blank slate will make it easier for them to superimpose themselves onto her character?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    The Highwaymen.

It's OK to decent if you like period infodramas. A pretty standard modern Kevin Costner vehicle all around with some of the better cinematography I've seen in a Netflicks movie. (The wide pans of a depression era Texas really help set a mood.) Woody Harrelson also continues to impress despite my misgivings for him in previous decades.
    Just saw this one, too. Kind of slow and staid, so it was right up my alley. I read a few reviews that made it sound like a buddy movie, but it wasn't like that at all. To me it was clearly a procedural with a partner dynamic. To me the difference is... Partners keep more distance from each other. It's understood that their private lives are private.

It definitely wasn't as gripping as, say No Country for Old Men. I think that's what put it in the Netflix release category. It had the drama of the chase but there wasn't a lot of internal conflict. The tension was in the glimpses of Bonnie and Clyde - excellently filmed IMO - and the depiction of the popular sentiment that supported them. The poverty and malevolence. Some of the Woody Harrelson angst even seemed a bit overdone. His speech in the restroom even sounded that it was more for the trailer and should have stayed in the trailer.

The reviews also compared it to Bonnie and Clyde, which is apparently a cinematic masterpiece that ushered in the era of sexy violence. I vaguely remember watching Bonnie and Clyde years ago, and I have no desire to ever watch it again. I'll take the low key procedural.... But I wonder how much of that is an internalized reaction against the excesses of the young boomer generation, who get a lot of flack, similar to our millennials. Rebels without a cause.

I wonder if I should give Bonnie and Clyde another chance... But I think I'd still rather watch They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Maybe I'm just a dour person. No fun allowed.

I realize I would like to watch more documentaries, but it takes me several days to finish a single movie, let alone a miniseries...

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    The reviews also compared it to Bonnie and Clyde, which is apparently a cinematic masterpiece that ushered in the era of sexy violence. I vaguely remember watching Bonnie and Clyde years ago, and I have no desire to ever watch it again. I'll take the low key procedural.... But I wonder how much of that is an internalized reaction against the excesses of the young boomer generation, who get a lot of flack, similar to our millennials. Rebels without a cause.
    From what I heard, The Highwaymen was scripted to intentionally not glamorize Bonnie and Clyde. Rather, it attempted to paint them for what they were, social degenerates on a murdering spree. The point was, even today, the duo are romanticized as champions of the little person but they truly didn't care, their "cause" was simply to grab headlines. The metaphor the movie was actually going for was Bonnie and Clyde were nothing more than glamor hounds like the Kardashians and people gobble it up, willfully ignorant of their vapidness. This message was supposedly highlighted with the movie's end where the protagonists watch from darkened storefronts as a mob of people parade around Bonnie and Clyde's car hysterically trying to grasp for trophies off their dead corpses.

Type
    INTP
    Best movie I've seen in years

Type
    INTP
    Belle, 2013.

I was really excited to finally getting around to watching this movie. A period romance, based on historical fact, that incorporates race issues and class issues...! Great cast, beautifully filmed.

All of that is true.

But... The script, and the directing. And the editing. It's like it was aimed at high school students. ...It probably was aimed at high school students. Too fast. Some internal inconsistencies and anachronisms. And the worst: HERE, LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO (camera pans). Now listen as the characters explain everything you need to know in simple terms. Didn't catch it? Don't worry. We're going to hammer it home a few more times.

If they had just backed off a little bit - much more show, way less tell - and had a script that actually assumed intelligence in the audience and was more intelligent itself - it would have been so good. Easily on par with North and South. But with way more social justice.

Social justice romance is a limited genre. This could have been so, so good.

I want a better written, better directed, better edited miniseries with the same cast and crew.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.