XNXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Clowntergeist.

This movie cured my fear of clowns.
    Oh, good.
    cute as a bug

Type
    INFP
    The Foreigner - Glad I saw this before it left the theater. Old Jackie Chan is still better than the wannabes. This movie is about two-thirds Pierce Brosnan talking. The plot is pretty convoluted but at least coherent. If I tried to watch it on TV I'd have no clue what was going on with all the forum-checking I'd be doing during all the talking. The plot is so labyrinthine that I don't think it could have been edited down under two hours. Anyway, it's an old man getting revenge story, primarily, or at least it should have been. I enjoyed seeing old Jackie take the boots to these punks.

I love seeing Chinese produced English language movies and trying to disentangle the geo-politics. Maybe when @ferrus sees The Foreigner he can weigh in. China seems to be the only country interested in making action movies for grown-ups these days. Or at least action movies without supernatural flim-flam. Speaking of, I also saw Thor: Ragnarok last week. Tired of Marvel movies but it's as good as any of them (except maybe Cap 2).

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    The Foreigner - Glad I saw this before it left the theater. Old Jackie Chan is still better than the wannabes. This movie is about two-thirds Pierce Brosnan talking. The plot is pretty convoluted but at least coherent. If I tried to watch it on TV I'd have no clue what was going on with all the forum-checking I'd be doing during all the talking. The plot is so labyrinthine that I don't think it could have been edited down under two hours. Anyway, it's an old man getting revenge story, primarily, or at least it should have been. I enjoyed seeing old Jackie take the boots to these punks.

I love seeing Chinese produced English language movies and trying to disentangle the geo-politics. Maybe when @ferrus sees The Foreigner he can weigh in. China seems to be the only country interested in making action movies for grown-ups these days. Or at least action movies without supernatural flim-flam. Speaking of, I also saw Thor: Ragnarok last week. Tired of Marvel movies but it's as good as any of them (except maybe Cap 2).
    So you didn't care for The Foreigner? I thought it was one of the best, straight forward thrillers I've seen in years. I actually wondered if I didn't know Jackie Chan would it have been so believable? Like, there wasn't too much in terms of fight scenes but sometimes I'll watch a movie like Salt and have a hard time believing all 98 lbs of Angelina could whoop a 6th grader, much less a couple of goons who could play defensive end for the Cowboys. I really liked the departure from the normal characters and tone. It's funny, I was thinking Pierce was really good in Matador, a departure from what he normally plays and now he's helping Jackie break out of his mold.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    So you didn't care for The Foreigner? I thought it was one of the best, straight forward thrillers I've seen in years. I actually wondered if I didn't know Jackie Chan would it have been so believable? Like, there wasn't too much in terms of fight scenes but sometimes I'll watch a movie like Salt and have a hard time believing all 98 lbs of Angelina could whoop a 6th grader, much less a couple of goons who could play defensive end for the Cowboys. I really liked the departure from the normal characters and tone. It's funny, I was thinking Pierce was really good in Matador, a departure from what he normally plays and now he's helping Jackie break out of his mold.
    I liked it! I think I'm just being overcritical because it's a good movie that could have been great with some snappier dialogue. I see so many movies in the genre that are forgettable that I'm eager for a homerun! I'll take these movies over any franchise but I don't think the general public agrees with me. Every time I see one it's me and five or six other dudes, all by ourselves, all at least 35.

Spoiler: The Foreigner spoilers for the Philistines who haven't seen it

I agree about the believability of the fight scenes. A lot of it has to do with physics. Jackie Chan isn't kicking people through plate glass windows from a standing position in this movie. He's mostly getting the drop on people and taking them out with holds or reasonable throws. The only fight that seemed a little fantastic was the one with the Irish Special Forces guy in the woods precisely because of all the striking.

I thought Pierce Brosnan was very good in this movie. There was an actual emotional trajectory which I found refreshing. He loses control gradually as opposed to just going unhinged or being a villain throughout. I haven't seen Matador but just looked it up and am interested. I enjoyed his part in The World's End.

Even sad Jackie Chan got me a few times. For instance, when he's sitting in his daughter's room after the bombing. (I thought that was a perfectly staged teenager's room by the way.)

I liked how visually dynamic it was without being ridiculous. The shot where the family gets on the bus and the bomber gets off and the bus blows up was really good. It's nice to see director Martin Campbell recover from Green Lantern. He's really in his element here.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INXj
    I’ve been looking forward to that movie since I saw the teaser. Looking forward to see a dark and gloomy Jackie Chan. Just wish it’s available on iTunes soon. I can’t find time to go to theaters.
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    INTP
    Just watched King Arthur. It's been several years since I last saw it, but I watched it I don't know how many times when it first came out. It's just... So... Adorable.

Watching it again made me very happy. The doofy script, the brilliant cast, the comic book action sequences. What's not to love?

Even Keira Knightly's terrible acting makes sense when you think of it as being an accurate portrayal of a bad actress. Guinevere is the sham. She's a freedom fighter who was assigned the role of seductress, but she's terrible at it. You know what she's good at? Regurgitating propaganda and killing saxons.

Oh man the saxons. And the knights. They're just... adorable. I'm pretty sure Lancelot is an ISFJ.

Lancelot <3 Arthur

Arthur <3 Lancelot, but also the rest of his knights, and more than anything justice

Guinevere <3 slaughtering any mother fucker who tries to come on to her land to start some shit

Seriously, the romans are adorable, the priests are ridiculous... It's not at all a clever script, but it is just darling.

Now I want to watch Beowulf with Gerard Butler again.

Type
    INTP
    Atomic Blonde
    8.75/10

Needlessly overdone 80s soundtrack holds it back from a 9.5. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this. Great atmosphere, style, action.

Type
    INTP
    The first episode of Punisher on Netflix.

Meh. Boring as fuck, apart from the last 8-10 minutes. Not worth it.

D+

I've never watched any of the Marvel TV-level things (I only watch the movies). I decided to give The Punisher a shot because, well, he's my kind of anti-hero. Or he ought to be. This thing on Netflix is a total bore, and a failure on the premise/potential, imo.

A shame.

Back to willful ignorance of the TV-level Marvelverse.