Page 208 of 212 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2118

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I just about have cancelled Netflix. Really found nothing great for a fair while.

But I've just started Maniac, and it seems like it could be great. I hope it is. (previously I thought some other series, like star trek, would be great, but turned into piles of shit) It may turn into a pile of shit, and it just looks promising at first.

I hate series that just go through motions.

It seems kind of superficial, to explicit call attention to it. I'm not sure what it is exactly. What is the director doing that is different? Just being different? E.g. there's a difference between something like Eternal Sunshine [...] and the usual tedious shit. Obviously there are differences in story, and so on. In this series, obviously the story is different; the guy is schizophrenic or something. Also, how it's filmed. Usually everything is literal. Just a flat backdrop. Nothing else going on with it. In this series, it's all pretty creative. They're actually thinking about it. I'm not sure if this is reality, or the perspective of this guy who probably is schizophrenic. This makes things more interesting. And I don't really understand why this isn't done more. I wish there were more series that tried to do something interesting, rather than just phone it in.

I've never actually watched the show, but I agree with the sentiment.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    MANIAC
    The Netflix TV Mini-series (not the movie) - currently 8.3 on IMDb
    {No Spoilers}

Excellent. Will watch again. I loved it. Very well crafted story that I thought I was beginning to predict at around episode seven, but it eluded me, thankfully.

Usually, I dislike a lack of character depth, or the casting, or just the acting and there were a few exceptions. While Sonoya [of ex machina fame and as the dancer in the chemical brothers track "wide open"] had a convincing British accent, she just didn't strike me as a legit computer scientist. The cigarette, usually sticking out of her mouth looked disjointed and the glasses and clothes looked more like someone wanted to appear "geek" in an unconvincing way, along with the Ken Doll (albeit a toupe wearing masturbation obsessed Ken Doll) played by Justin Theroux. Nonetheless, they, along with Emma Stone and Sally Field, didn't ruin it for me. In fact, Sally Field was almost playing a parody of herself and Emma Stone actually did a good job. Jonah Hill was the biggest surprise for me, he played his role very well, very convincing. Worlds apart from the slapstick and frat humour of his earlier career.

Parts were laugh out loud funny, and parts were WTF surprising, (which I don't often get in the predictable nature of television and movies)

My only regret is that I binged on it. I will have to watch it again.

So many little nuances and details that could go unnoticed. Miniature versions of things, road names, heat halos, obscure references and the convincing way that the subconscious (or ambien addled) brain will draw from various sources and smoosh them together into a dream sequence.

MOAR!
    Last edited by Limes; 09-26-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I'll check that out tonight
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INXj
    Bleach (Live Action)

Nothing special. Just the same plot from animé series though they ruined two of characters. Portrayed Renji as a psychopath and Orihime a hopeless flirt. They also added too much sentimentality perhaps to appeal to the bigger audience. Two takeaways in this adaptation: 1) on point visual effects 2) less fan service. I was annoyed my favorite Byakuya looks like the eighth member of BTS.

Type
    xNxx
    Succession

Snarkiest dialogue since The Death Of Stalin, but from the writer of Peep Show. @Limes you should give it a try.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Succession

Snarkiest dialogue since The Death Of Stalin, but from the writer of Peep Show. @Limes you should give it a try.
    Thank you, I will take a look

Type
    INTP
    Just finished the Amy Winehouse documentary.

What strikes me is the dichotomy between someones with so much confidence in her own artistry, so much power... and then that same person who doesn't claim any agency over her own life. Acting out, a troubled child... and she never grew up. Constantly trying to submerge herself - in her boyfriend, in her father (who never gave a shit about her except as a source of fame and money), and then finally in drugs.

Culturally tragic, that we lost someone who could have been the greatest singer of the 21st century.

Of course her father, her druggie ex-husband, the British tabloids and paparazzi contributed to her demise... It's just a shame that she never learned to value her own self for herself, never learned to create positive, protective boundaries for herself. It seemed like by the time she was just starting to take control, the damage, in terms of dependence and physical bodily harm, had been done.

Spoiler: personal projection

Her mother as well did nothing. I wonder if she had some mental issues as well, to be so overwhelmed by two children and an absentee husband. Sounds like my own mom, except that I did have my father stepping up to the plate and playing a very active role.

Final thought: She was very young, at a normal age for fatalism and experimentation. With luck it would have been a particularly dark and self-destructive phase that she pulled herself out of. Unfortunately she succeeded in her self-destruction.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 10-17-2018 at 02:10 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Goblin is on tour performing Suspiria live with a showing of the movie. Whether I catch it or not, I want to see Suspiria soon.

"All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I binge-watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. I basically can't shut the lights off anymore.

I was really happy to see they used a singer and song I really like in an important part of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Just finished the Amy Winehouse documentary.

What strikes me is the dichotomy between someones with so much confidence in her own artistry, so much power... and then that same person who doesn't claim any agency over her own life. Acting out, a troubled child... and she never grew up. Constantly trying to submerge herself - in her boyfriend, in her father (who never gave a shit about her except as a source of fame and money), and then finally in drugs.

Culturally tragic, that we lost someone who could have been the greatest singer of the 21st century.

Of course her father, her druggie ex-husband, the British tabloids and paparazzi contributed to her demise... It's just a shame that she never learned to value her own self for herself, never learned to create positive, protective boundaries for herself. It seemed like by the time she was just starting to take control, the damage, in terms of dependence and physical bodily harm, had been done.

Spoiler: personal projection

Her mother as well did nothing. I wonder if she had some mental issues as well, to be so overwhelmed by two children and an absentee husband. Sounds like my own mom, except that I did have my father stepping up to the plate and playing a very active role.

Final thought: She was very young, at a normal age for fatalism and experimentation. With luck it would have been a particularly dark and self-destructive phase that she pulled herself out of. Unfortunately she succeeded in her self-destruction.
    She was very deeply into that flat effect that addicts have, where nothing makes them feel good anymore because their brains have become super-resistant to all the brain chemicals that make you feel positive feelings from being flooded with all that for so long. I heard it described once by another addict on some other documentary or news special or something...don't remember which one. ... I'll paraphrase because I can't find it... "The feelings you get from from holding hands, from being hugged, from finding out someone loves you, from seeing something unspeakably beautiful, from holding a puppy or from your daughter saying she loves you, from winning, from doing something amazing. Love, accomplishment, satisfaction, safety ... I remember those feelings from before I was an addict, but I can't have these feelings anymore. Everything is empty. No matter what happens, no matter how fucking awesome it is, it's just nothing. When I'm clean for a really long time, I get a shadow of what I used to be able to feel, but I doubt I'll ever really feel happy again. They said I fucked up the part of my brain that makes me feel ok, and watching everyone else feel happy makes me want to overdose and die happy just to get this whole struggle over with."

When Amy reacts to winning 5 Grammy's in 2008, it seems like this is where she is. She says, “This is so boring without drugs.”

The part where her dad tracks her down on that island where she's trying to escape from the paparazzi and she's so happy to see him but then it turns out he's brought a film crew and is just milking her for a buck... gah. Leads me to wonder if she was ever happy before she tried drugs. I think people who have no experience with feeling safe and warm and loved without drugs are doubly susceptible to addiction. Everything they've been missing...in pill form...and they've no idea, no experience as to where else to find it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle