Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172
Results 1,711 to 1,715 of 1715

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    xNxx
    "It" was a book from 1985, so the contemporaries in fiction were more like Spielberg and Judy Blume. I read it around when it came out, when I was a preteen. The movie did a great job of updating things that needed to be updated- originally the monsters were all the 50s horror movie monsters like the wolfman and the creature from the black lagoon. The book made them very vivid, but it just might not have translated. Also, they put the setting from the 50s to the 80s, which is smart because they can make the second part in the present.

I thought the movie was pretty great at what it needed to be great at, basically the description of how difficult childhood can be. That's the thing the book did so well, but they couldn't go as far in the movie.
    Spoiler: plot point from the book
    The most vivid section in the book is when one of the bully's friends, who's a budding serial killer, tries to have sex with the bully after kissing him. The bully punches him in the face, and then he staggers off and is eaten by flying leeches that come out of a fridge where he was storing a bunch of murdered animals. It's fucking terrifying and doesn't pull any punches.

I don't know that I would have enjoyed the movie so much if I hadn't read the book when I was young.

edit: I also had very low expectations walking into the theater, there's not so many good Stephen King movies, and the book is 1,200 pages with a ton of stream of consciousness writing.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    "It" was a book from 1985, so the contemporaries in fiction were more like Spielberg and Judy Blume. I read it around when it came out, when I was a preteen. The movie did a great job of updating things that needed to be updated- originally the monsters were all the 50s horror movie monsters like the wolfman and the creature from the black lagoon. The book made them very vivid, but it just might not have translated. Also, they put the setting from the 50s to the 80s, which is smart because they can make the second part in the present.

I thought the movie was pretty great at what it needed to be great at, basically the description of how difficult childhood can be. That's the thing the book did so well, but they couldn't go as far in the movie.
    Spoiler: plot point from the book
    The most vivid section in the book is when one of the bully's friends, who's a budding serial killer, tries to have sex with the bully after kissing him. The bully punches him in the face, and then he staggers off and is eaten by flying leeches that come out of a fridge where he was storing a bunch of murdered animals. It's fucking terrifying and doesn't pull any punches.

I don't know that I would have enjoyed the movie so much if I hadn't read the book when I was young.

edit: I also had very low expectations walking into the theater, there's not so many good Stephen King movies, and the book is 1,200 pages with a ton of stream of consciousness writing.
    I haven't read the book but
    Spoiler: d
    apparently another very controversial part that was omitted from the movie is a child orgy in the sewer? Bev has sex with the boys in the Loser Club one by one, symbolically elevating them into adulthood. The flying leeches thing sounds metal though and makes me want to read the book.

I honestly loved the movie, would watch it again.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    xxxx
    re: it

Spoiler: more thoughts
    i thought the actress who played beverly was really, really good. the one scene with the bubbling blood in the sink i was disappointed with (i imagine it could've been way subtler and creepier, leading up to the blood exploding) but her reaction when she realized her dad couldn't see any of it seemed so genuine and that was actually scary. (i knew that was gonna happen from the book, but just seeing her face freaked me out and i felt some empathy.)

the opening scene with georgie was good as well, just the way it was built up, you see bill making the boat with so much care and georgie being so excited to play in that creepy ass rain, he gets knocked down but he's so excited he doesn't give a fuck, lol, loved that. then pennywise gets introduced as this quiet, creepy fuck in the sewer. i really prefer the creepy pennywise making conversation and enticing the kids over video game boss pennywise who was just the monster jumping out everywhere that you're supposed to beat.

Type
    xxxx
    The Exorcist - brilliant catholic church propaganda film. Get a catholic priest to visit your home to rid the evil spirits. He uses his pact with Satan to make them temporarily leave and increases his parishionership in the long run by keeping them scared and confused.

Esteemed Wart Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Mesmerizing. Hit the right effects and breadth. Me and my friend had a cool discussion on the themes and yes, he who has read the book noted the one by one thing also. The story made the scary parts worth it for me. After a while we were like damn that movies deep (genius.) I most enjoyed the theme of friendship, good versus evil and how the fat kid is intelligent as S.k would've wanted. These are well known from the book. Its about kids and a clown and they're friends. Not a spoiler.
    Lowest hanging fruit