Page 234 of 235 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235 LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2341

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    xNxx
    I'm biased about the Tarantino film because it's a great movie about Los Angeles, the locations are flawless.

Type
    INTP
    I liked it better than Inglorious Bastards. But then I really didn't like IB to begin with. I found that it added up to much much less than the sum of its parts.

Hollywood is straightforward if you already know the backstory. I watched it with my man, who didn't know the true story, and he also found the first three quarters to be rambling and disconnected, whereas I felt this gradually increasing tension throughout.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I liked it better than Inglorious Bastards. But then I really didn't like IB to begin with. I found that it added up to much much less than the sum of its parts.

Hollywood is straightforward if you already know the backstory. I watched it with my man, who didn't know the true story, and he also found the first three quarters to be rambling and disconnected, whereas I felt this gradually increasing tension throughout.
    My biggest thought as I was leaving the theater was "how would someone unfamiliar with the Tate murder and Manson family, which I assume is most people, react to this movie? "

My short review is all of the worst of Tarantino and none of the best. I'm usually willing to overlook the ultraviolence and vapidity for that one great scene (case in point would be the first scene in IB) only Tarantino can deliver. I think the dialogue in this one was just drab. My favorite part was the production design of the dog food.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Final Destination 2

They got their biggest stupidity out of the way early on. It's right in their setup. Kimberly's premonition happens at an on ramp, just before entering a highway. There are minutes of driving on this highway at 60mph or so before the pileup happens. After the vision ends Kimberly blocks the on ramp. A couple minutes of people being angry and talking to a cop and the truck that starts the whole pileup goes by, and moments later, the pileup ensues. The problem? If she hadn't blocked the on ramp, all of those people would be miles down the road from where the crash that actually happened happened.

Even if you give a hyooj benefit of doubt and choose to believe that was because the triggering event for the pileup to begin was the truck getting ahead of everyone that had been on that on ramp... You have to contend with the fact that no one in the aftermath made that observation. They all took it as gospel that they would have been in a crash that would probably have happened behind them.

There's not much else to say.

Oh, the Mortician coughed up a new piece of lore--that if they brought a new life into the world that wasn't part of death's existing plan, then they could break their curse and no longer be eminently stalked by death. They would no longer be on its most imminent agenda at any rate, presumably because death was going to have to go back to the drawing board. For some reason they went with dying but being revived instead of banging and producing offspring, which is the most logical and correct solution. What could be more of an unplanned life than one conceived people who were supposed to be dead?

But maybe they were concerned about the line they'd danced earlier with their red herring plot about keeping a woman who pregnant at the accident alive until her baby was born. Either angle, even the most correct one, carries a polarizing statement if you have it be the resolution.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    russian doll, s1

i watched this cuz i'd heard about how it's an interesting metaphor for trauma (the experience of reliving, processing, recovering) and i really have to fucking agree.

i was so surprised how it picked up starting some time in the middle episodes. RECOMMENDED

i wonder how much flies over the heads of people though who've never been significantly traumatized and/or who've never gone to trauma therapy.

Spoiler: not sure what needs a spoiler tag
    the "flashbacks" and handling of different "timelines" was really well done. oh my god, that's really what it feels like sometimes. that moment when nadia first sees her child self, i think i was just as startled and creeped out as her, but i have my own "story" that's a bit like that.

i was totally sucked in and feeling the horror and grief and relief with the characters.

nadia was fucking hilarious as a character

i interpet the very last scene as nadia and alan finding their place in the nighttime traumatized freak parade, surrounded by good company. it made me cry so much cuz that's exactly right(!!!!) and such a great image.

apparently there's gonna be a season 2 but wtf can they do in season 2? it's perfect the way it ends and i'm not convinced that's a good decision. drawing out the metaphor might be really cringeworthy, but whatever, i'll probably watch it.
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    INFP
    I finished the first season of the handmaids tale. I don't like zombie apocalypse movies and this was basically a zombie apocalypse movie with political pretensions.

Also, the supermarkets are not how supermarkets would be in a totalitarian regime. I mean, first of all, there wouldn't be supermarkets. Why? 1. Because the handmaids can AND DO congregate in the vast aisles. That's one of the points of them being designed that way in the US, to accommodate for multiple people rather than atomized individuals who zip in and out. 2. Because there aren't any different brands. There's only one type of each thing. So it's not only logical from a social perspective, but also from a material and economic perspective to have smaller stores.

Instead I couldn't stop laughing whenever I saw the supermarket, because they had like 20 rows of identical cereal boxes lined up on a shelf, facing outward as if they were advertising different brands, and 10 identical sausages evenly spaced on a display counter. I mean wtf, whoever designed this should be fired.

Unless they were going for some sort of highbrow art exhibit supermarket? Or spot the non-existent difference games for the future generations of kids? But I don't think the Commanders would like that.

Type
    INFP
    I mean look at this BS

Spoiler: can't resize picture

I like this picture especially because of the last fridge on the right, in which the handmaids apparently decided to take two milk bottles from each side on every shelf, to maintain the perfect symmetry.

Type
    INTP
    I haven't watched it, but wouldn't it make sense that they would adapt the existing stores rather than build new ones? And likewise hold onto some stocking systems/aesthetics from a capitalist system even after the economy had changed?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I haven't watched it, but wouldn't it make sense that they would adapt the existing stores rather than build new ones?
    Sure, it wouldn't make sense for them to build new ones. They'd just need to cordon off 3/4 of the area of each supermarket and install narrower aisles in the small remaining part. The larger area could be converted into slave housing or whatever.

And likewise hold onto some stocking systems/aesthetics from a capitalist system even after the economy had changed?
    They think capitalism is evil and there's no functional purpose in spreading out items like that. It's much faster to shop in a smaller place and it saves electric + heating costs (important in a post environmental diaster world)

Type
    INTP
    You've convinced me.

Another reason I never watched the show (aside from how heavy and depressing it seems to be) is that it's supposed to be this allegory for sexism within our current society, but the whole premise is that there's been a major disruption to human reproduction, which is one of the most basic animal drives. Of *course* there would be an extreme reaction.