Page 189 of 208 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2077

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INTP
    I've been holding out on this thread.

I saw Mudbound a few weeks ago and it was like a Faulkneresque southern gothic with wish fulfilment ending. I can't say anything else without giving it away, but it made me want to weep with joy.

Also watched Arjun Reddy, which I need to add to my bollywood blog. It's actually not bollywood but a very specific variant of Tollywood. Hyderabadi with a very self-aware sense of humor. It was hilarious.

My sister was in town last week and we watched Frozen. I couldn't help but pick it apart. She complained that I hate everything. I said, "I don't hate Moana!" She had never actually seen it, and she had her misgivings. She loved it, of course. So freaking great. This evening my kid was listening to the soundtrack and dancing around like a crazy monkey.

I still can't make it through the Trolls movie because the plot is so banal, but I love the holiday special. It cracks me up so much. I think it's because the ISFJ doesn't listen to much music but he loves EDM.

Finally... My kid has really gotten into Inside Out lately. Not for the poignant, intricate story, of course, but because Anger can shoot fire out of his head.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Planet Earth II Season 1 Episode 1 -- the segment with the snakes vs. the hatchling marine iguanas is some of the most dramatic nature footage I have ever seen.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTx
    The Big Stick. An entertaining immigrant story/romcom. Will the stand up comedian be a stand up guy? He fell for a white girl and had a fall out with his paki islamsupremist parents. He didn't like the arranged marriage arrangement. I liked his 9/11 joke. I guess enough time has passed. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter play the white parents. I like the drollness that Romano adds. Hunter has aged well.

Type
    INTP
    Swiss Army Man

It's weird and it made me laugh. I liked it.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Swiss Army Man

It's weird and it made me laugh. I liked it.
    I doubt it was historically accurate.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I saw Swiss Army Man a while back but wholeheartedly endorse it

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Jawohl mein fraulein. if Halifax had accepted the Prime Ministership, we'd be living in a different world.

And his grandsons (the Soames brothers) today are still destroying the world through subverting parliament, facilitating entrapment, running Serco and committing foreign and domestic terrorism..

Your patriotism is completely misplaced.

Makes me sick to think people worship their oppressors.

.. a different world may not have been so bad.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    That's because what everyone is taught in school and throughout life is the "finest hour" Battle of Britain and so on. Those other things don't get mentioned. Granted, not living under Nazi rule is a good thing, and we should be pleased with this, but if you look through history you can see a lot of historical dictators and tyrants who make Hitler look lenient - he just had better technology at his disposal. But just shows you should read up on more history yourself.

And because we're mostly only taught British history, we don't get to see the effect we've had on other countries over the centuries so we can remain blissfully unaware. I once actually had a work colleague argue that the British Empire never once set foot on African soil, so none of that famine is our problem. Jesus fuck, like.

They covered the native Americans in history class, but nothing else that I remember.
    Last edited by Revenant; 01-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    Granted, not living under Nazi rule is a good thing, and we should be pleased with this.
    Halifax and Chamberlain were maneuvering for a peace settlement with Germany. From my very limited reading, it seems as if Hitler would have been agreeable. Britain would have had to give up a significant amount of its overseas territories as part of the settlement, but were unlikely to have been living under Nazi rule (at least at the completion of the peace treaty).

Perhaps a peace settlement would have just delayed an inevitable invasion and the implementation of Nazi rule; maybe it wouldn't have...

Interesting that Churchill was criticised for his support of Zionism. Hitler wasn't a great Zionist; wasn't great on Black people either.

The world would have been a dramatically different place.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    It's funny you say that. I watch a little Star Trek every morning with my coffee to set the tone for my day. I'm flitting around in TNG season 3 lately. Lots of good stuff in there.
    Have you watched any of The Orville?

I was surprised, I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan, but it was a lot like ST:TNG. More humor of course, but not as much as expected.