Page 235 of 248 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2480

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INTP
    Hailey Gates directed a short film. Yay.

Type
    INTP
    I just saw that the Dark Crystal series has finally been released on Netflix and watched the first episode and it was amazing. I might explode with excitement tbh; I've been waiting for this for years!
    The Brain—is wider than the Sky—
    For—put them side by side—
    The one the other will contain
    With ease—and You—beside—
    The Brain is deeper than the sea—
    For—hold them—Blue to Blue—
    The one the other will absorb—
    As Sponges—Buckets—do—
    The Brain is just the weight of God—
    For—Heft them—Pound for Pound—
    And they will differ—if they do—
    As Syllable from Sound

—Emily Dickinson

Type
    INTP
    Just watched the Dark Crystal for the first time since I was a child.

I remembered it being slow and weird and scary. It was indeed slow and weird and scary.

The production was gorgeous but the script was kind of just... bad. The story wasn't particularly compelling. Even the muppetry was quite stiff and slow, especially compared to Labyrinth, which they did a few years later.

Definitely 80s high fantasy. Most notable for bringing to life a whole world designed by Brian Froud.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Just watched the Dark Crystal for the first time since I was a child.

I remembered it being slow and weird and scary. It was indeed slow and weird and scary.

The production was gorgeous but the script was kind of just... bad. The story wasn't particularly compelling. Even the muppetry was quite stiff and slow, especially compared to Labyrinth, which they did a few years later.

Definitely 80s high fantasy. Most notable for bringing to life a whole world designed by Brian Froud.
    I loved it then, I loved it now, but I'd agree there were some messy story hiccups in Age of Resistance. I get the feeling the script might have changed a few times during production and a sense that they had more story than they could tell in the time they had to produce the show.

As for weird and scary, puppet stiffness and relations to Labyrinth, the making of movie following the series specifically addresses those points.

Type
    INTP
    Just talking about the original movie. I think the main issue... Well it's not something I would change, because it's inherent in the story. It's hard to tell a mythic tale with a chosen one. And then once it becomes apparent that the whatsits and the mystics are going to combine/annihilate each other, which happens fairly early on... There's not much tension. The fact that the action sequences are so stilted doesn't help that at all.

Jen(?) isn't a particularly compelling hero. He had a Kermit sort if equanimity without the humor and without the gang of friends. He's a straight man with no foil.

Personality wise, Kira is also fairly bland.

Her animal powers are cool. The world building is cool. I like that the fact that both gelflings were fostered by different races is essential to the plot. I actually cared about the podling slaves the most. That was genuinely and appropriately horrific.

Too bad about those bat strider things, though. I wonder if they knew they were riding to their doom....Guess no one cared. Oh well.

It was a good proof of concept, and I can imagine all the Froud illustrations and world building that went into it beforehand. It's like a whole Froud fairy book brought to life. Which is cool.

Compared to the Storyteller series (written by Anthony Minghella), the script was boring, pedestrian. Compared to the Labyrinth, which is not without its own problems, the story was less gripping (inspiration from Sendak rather than Tolkien) and the effects were extremely stiff.

I'm glad I watched it again, but it was definitely more of an intellectual exercise than something I did or ever would love in its own merits.

Just saw It 2. Isn't it supposed to come out tomorrow? Ikr. I respected it. I was like who is that actress? Ok that's Julia Delpy from the Richard Linklater movies, before sunset. Is it coincidence or allusion that the fat kid grown up looks like Ethan Hawk. Even though it wasn't scary as the first, it still kept me entertained. A bit sloppy, but decent.

7/10
    abstractionist

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Johnson View Post
    Just saw It 2. Isn't it supposed to come out tomorrow? Ikr. I respected it. I was like who is that actress? Ok that's Julia Delpy from the Richard Linklater movies, before sunset. Is it coincidence or allusion that the fat kid grown up looks like Ethan Hawk. Even though it wasn't scary as the first, it still kept me entertained. A bit sloppy, but decent.

7/10
    Seeing it tonight with friends. Just glad it's not atrociously bad. I thought the first was ok.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Seeing it tonight with friends. Just glad it's not atrociously bad. I thought the first was ok.
    Don't worry about being scared. I was more scared by the Doctor Sleep preview
    abstractionist

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Our Boys is the best show out right now.

Type
    INTP
    I watched an Indian movie called URI Surgical Strike.

It's pretty good for what it is. If you imagine a typical Hollywood movie about some dirty rotten Islamic terrorists killing some Marines and then their Marine brothers getting some pay back, this is what this movie is. With Pakistani Islamic terrorists attacking Indian army soldiers and getting some payback from Indian army special forces replete with a similar amount of 'Oorah!' to an American flick (although 'Ji Hind' seems to be the Indian Army go to).

Production values are quite impressive though. 100% up to Hollywood standards. I'm starting to realize India has a serious movie industry going on. I also saw The Lunchbox a while back.

Amusing observations:

1) Most of the movie is in whatever Indian dialect (Punjabi? - I needed subtitles) but at seemingly random intervals the actors/dialog switch to English for a sentence or two. The Lunchbox exhibited the same behavior. It's odd, makes me wonder if that is a common thing for native Indian speakers to do.
    2) There must be some rule in India that whenever they show someone drinking alcohol on screen, there is a warning that pops up in the bottom of the screen saying the alcohol is bad for your health. There was a warning in the opening credits, and then in every single scene that showed drinking.