Page 3 of 190 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: I just saw...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    I just watched this. Thank jeebus for your advice, I'm really glad I didn't watch that with my girlfriend.

That episode was devastating.
    My entire reaction watching it was like: "oh wow, but I bet they won't... oh they are. But they probably won't... OH THEY ARE."

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The Scapegoat (2012). Set the implausibility aside and this is an entertaining prince and the pauper film.

I'm really used to recognizing all the locations in American films because they're filmed here. I wasn't expecting the characters in this film to sit down at the exact same table I did at Menzes In Deptford. I thought oh god, now it's starting with British films too...

Type
    InTP
    I saw Saving Mr.Banks and thought it was really good. Maybe I have a thing for uptight british people though. They forced the Mary Poppins songs into the movie and Tom Hanks does his weird disney voice but whatever. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. A nice sad movie.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

aka HappyNoodleBoy

Type
    INTP
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - It was entertaining enough. I liked it more than the first one.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Aguirre, The Wrath of God A

PressPausePlay D

A dull look into how digital technology is changing art production.

Fitzcarraldo A

Type
    INTP
    - Last night on YouTube, I saw a 7 minute mini-episode for the upcoming release of Season 3 of Sherlock (BBC). Very cool, and I'm really excited about the new season.

- Saw Frozen a few weeks back. Meh. It was okay, and I like the minor "twist" at the end, but most of the movie is just pretty derivative and uninteresting. Ironically, despite the involvement of the Avenue Q folks, I found much of the musical non-memorable. I did, however, relate strongly to Elsa; I felt like a lot of my life was spent under wraps like hers, and when she finally decides to stop holding everything back and live authentically despite everyone rejecting her, well, yeah... you go, girl! I think there's also a brief glimpse of Rapunzel and Eugene in there somewhere, at the ball.

- I did a Breaking Bad marathon a few weeks ago. I watched the entire series in a span of about two weeks. Damn, but that was one of the best things I've seen on TV, ever, and I don't regret a moment of it. It will stick with me a long long time. Yes, there are fads out there; but on occasion, when something is highly touted, it's actually the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Cliché hollywood crap. American symbolism. Action scenes for the sake of action scenes. Scenes that could have been reduced by thirty minutes if not for the redundant videogame style plot twists. Bland characters. Tauriel, who was the only female character, was a caricature of feminity, with no personality of her own. Everything was too fast, there was a shot every 2 seconds, and no moment of rest. At the same time, it felt like nothing was happening.

Maybe I should have seen it in 3D and in english.
    I saw it in 3D and 48fps and you weren't missing anything. I've seen worse movies, yes, but this was the one I almost walked out on.

About the only thing that really captured a sense of awe in me was when Smaug wakes up and starts rising out of the gold pile. That was pretty freaking awesome. But what the hell was that twenty-minute flight/fight sequence with Smaug and the dwarves? Assinine, that's what it was. The barrel ride -- with a few amusing moments -- was also stupid as well.

So you're totally right. Honestly, nothing DID happen. All we did was move the dwarves from Point A (Beorn's house) to Point B (Erebor), but nothing really important happened over this 2:40 hour mess in terms of character or depth or real drama, aside from Kili almost bagging himself an elf maid I guess.

I've heard people encouraging Jackson to touch the Silmarillion, and I'd like to chop his fingers off before that happens. It's a shame that he feels the need to double the run time to include things to make the story interesting, when he can't even properly present the stuff in the story to start with in a way that is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    "How to Train Your Dragon", last week. Just a little behind on my movies, but I don't care. Now I am totally in love. I am going to get me one of those dragon character dolls or stuffed animals, I am. Totally into it. I may even get a real one.
    I didn't watch htTYD in the theater, because the title was so stupid. I finally watched it on home video months later, and now I own the Bluray. I consider it one of the better animated movies I've seen, beating most of the Disney fare. I also liked their ballsy ending, which you rarely see in a kid's animated movie -- yes, you can win the day, but there is often a cost attached. They made a host of changes in that story, from book to screen, and as far as I can tell, they were good decisions (such as making the dragon rideable, and changing Toothless into a larger panther-like model).

I'm nervous about the next release in the series, but only because the first one was so decent.
    Last edited by Charde; 12-29-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Type
    INTP
    A Damsel In Distress (1937). Weak plot, excellent dancing. Strange that Astaire hated his own singing, I rather like his voice.
    Last edited by skip; 12-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    I didn't watch htTYD in the theater, because the title was so stupid. I finally watched it on home video months later, and now I own the Bluray. I consider it one of the better animated movies I've seen, beating most of the Disney fare. I also liked their ballsy ending, which you rarely see in a kid's animated movie -- yes, you can win the day, but there is often a cost attached. They made a host of changes in that story, from book to screen, and as far as I can tell, they were good decisions (such as making the dragon rideable, and changing Toothless into a larger panther-like model).

I'm nervous about the next release in the series, but only because the first one was so decent.
    I thought it was great. I've never read the book, so there's no dissonance issues, plus I've only acquired an interest in kids' movies since I started watching them with my own kid. That said, it's one of the best children's movies I've ever seen.

I have a thing against Disney, and in my observation it seems like Dreamworks is kind of making a play to position their children's animation department as a sort of anti-Disney alternative. I'm sure that's an overstatement, but there's a definite qualitative difference which I appreciate. Disney movies tend to be loaded down with reactionary cultural politics and beyond that simply to be made by people who apparently think children are just stupider adults. I loved the first Shrek movie, mostly for its gleefully merciless piss-taking on tropes that have become very annoyingly ingrained into the standard formula for kids' movies by the near-monopoly that Disney had on this genre for a long time. (At least when I was a kid, there was simply no one else of note making major animated children's films--I'm glad this has changed.) In fact, I liked Shrek so much that I think it may be specifically Disney's fault that I had such an aversion to the entire genre even in my later pre-adolescent years. I was basically convinced that kids' movies are stupid because, honestly, most Disney movies are pretty chock-full of stupidity.

Shrek, HTTYD, and Megamind have become some of my favorite movies, but HTTYD is the best out of the three.

You just don't see Disney movies where the male lead is a precocious but neurotic and physically weak nerd who ends up with a love interest who is a hot badass warrior chick. I can't think of a single Disney movie where anything like that happens. This, along with the "who are the real monsters" subtext, the nerd supplanting dumb jocks as the alpha male, the core theme of how it takes courage to question the prejudices you inherit from your elders, and various other things just seem like they would run afoul of some script-filtering department at Disney, but they really make the movie great. It's very smart, and had me wanting to stand up and cheer at certain points.

I did notice the pervasive motif of physical disfigurement, which is quite interesting to see in a kids' movie. I almost think it should get an award from some disability-awareness organization for how it handles the portrayal of characters with prosthetic limbs. There's a sort of "life gets rough and you won't get through it unscarred, but you keep at it anyway" undertone to this which I quite enjoyed.

I'm interested to see what they do with the sequel. Sometimes it's hard to top this kind of achievement, and attempts to add depth and rounding to established characters end up diluting what was endearing about them. (Turning Shrek into a husband and father, for example, was a logical next step in the plot, but it kind of compromised his "don't need nobody/don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me" appeal. The producers were obviously aware of this, though, since it's the central theme of the third movie.)

Type
    Intp

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I thought it was great. I've never read the book, so there's no dissonance issues, plus I've only acquired an interest in kids' movies since I started watching them with my own kid. That said, it's one of the best children's movies I've ever seen.
    I actually haven't ever read the book, but I did read ABOUT the book after I saw the movie, because I was curious what got changed. The author okayed the changes, so it must have maintained the spirit of the book(s).

I have a thing against Disney, and in my observation it seems like Dreamworks is kind of making a play to position their children's animation department as a sort of anti-Disney alternative.
    Dreamworks has been around so long at this point. They've been rather hit or miss, which is unfortunate. Shrek of course is one of their big "hit out of the park" movies (although I think the following movies just got progressively worse, I just didn't find them nearly as funny as the first...) I'm a fan of the first Kung Fu Panda, and actually I think their "prince of Egypt" whether or not one buys into the religious message is pretty honed and very clean. Not only is it an interesting take on the old story of Moses (focusing on him being the brother of Ramses and that relationship), but the music was written by Stephen Schwartz, who went on to write Wicked. The writing is tight.

But then there are offerings like Rise of the Guardians, which were just pretty dead despite their hopes to make a franchise out of them. It can be a hard business to constantly reinvent oneself.

I'm sure that's an overstatement, but there's a definite qualitative difference which I appreciate. Disney movies tend to be loaded down with reactionary cultural politics and beyond that simply to be made by people who apparently think children are just stupider adults.
    True. Sometimes the sheer craftsmanship of their movies can boost the quality regardless of the writing, but that can't salvage a bad movie. This last one just didn't really have anything new or meaningful in it, despite the decent ice effects. And how many times can we hear the same general message, over and over again?

I loved the first Shrek movie, mostly for its gleefully merciless piss-taking on tropes that have become very annoyingly ingrained into the standard formula for kids' movies by the near-monopoly that Disney had on this genre for a long time. (At least when I was a kid, there was simply no one else of note making major animated children's films--I'm glad this has changed.) In fact, I liked Shrek so much that I think it may be specifically Disney's fault that I had such an aversion to the entire genre even in my later pre-adolescent years. I was basically convinced that kids' movies are stupid because, honestly, most Disney movies are pretty chock-full of stupidity.
    To be honest, I'm not really much of a fan of the "Golden Age Disney" at all. I think the only one I actually favor is Sleeping Beauty... and not for Aurora, who I usually laugh at because she's such a dumb blonde cliche, but because of Maleficent (who is totally badass) and the scenes with the father-in-laws getting drunk together. Disney really hit crapland in the 70's. I liked Ashman and Menken's reboot of the Disney format with "Little Mermaid," but yes, Ariel's quite the piece of work. Some things were reinvented nicely, other things were not (like, why is this silly girl throwing everything away to hook up with this vapid, boring, rather insignificant prince?) Probably Beauty and the Beast were the most meaningful for me in those early years, although I appreciated the humor in Aladdin and Mulan actually showed a more dutiful girl heroine (rather than the starry-eyed N-type female protagonist) risking her life for her father and to bring honor to her family. But then things went downhill again.

I think Disney even has bumped down Pixar, their last few movies just are not on par with some of their older offerings.

Shrek, HTTYD, and Megamind have become some of my favorite movies, but HTTYD is the best out of the three.
    I'm a fan of Megamind as well. And i do appreciate the subversive qualities.

You just don't see Disney movies where the male lead is a precocious but neurotic and physically weak nerd who ends up with a love interest who is a hot badass warrior chick. I can't think of a single Disney movie where anything like that happens.
    Yup, very true!

However I did not watch Treasure Planet or Atlantis (were they both Disney?) so I have no idea if those touched anything similar.

This, along with the "who are the real monsters" subtext, the nerd supplanting dumb jocks as the alpha male, the core theme of how it takes courage to question the prejudices you inherit from your elders, and various other things just seem like they would run afoul of some script-filtering department at Disney, but they really make the movie great. It's very smart, and had me wanting to stand up and cheer at certain points.
    I can't described how shocked and then amazed I was watching it. The bar was set pretty low for me. I was wondering why it hadn't been talked about more. It was about time for that type of story to be told. And yes, in many of these movies, they try to tell you, "Just be yourself, don't just try to be like others to fit in," but I felt like this movie really dug into what that meant -- and the kind of cost you do pay when you do that, not just with your peers, but with your family, and then finally in terms of your principles and ideals. Hiccup was really in such a bind, especially when he had inadvertently won his father's love back but had to cast it aside AGAIN to be true to what he thought was best for everyone. Even that first half an hour with Toothless was pretty amazing, I thought it was pretty realistic how an intelligent animal would respond to someone who he hadn't yet felt out properly. There were times when the dragon did try to just leave but couldn't, and finally when it got to the point where he could, they actually liked each other.

I did notice the pervasive motif of physical disfigurement, which is quite interesting to see in a kids' movie. I almost think it should get an award from some disability-awareness organization for how it handles the portrayal of characters with prosthetic limbs. There's a sort of "life gets rough and you won't get through it unscarred, but you keep at it anyway" undertone to this which I quite enjoyed.
    Yeah, I really thought that was neat... and if you examine what happened, it's another form of specific commonality between dragon and boy... even down to the detail.

I'm interested to see what they do with the sequel. Sometimes it's hard to top this kind of achievement, and attempts to add depth and rounding to established characters end up diluting what was endearing about them. (Turning Shrek into a husband and father, for example, was a logical next step in the plot, but it kind of compromised his "don't need nobody/don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me" appeal. The producers were obviously aware of this, though, since it's the central theme of the third movie.)
    I had so much trouble with the second movie that after seeing the third movies trailers, I never watched it.

I did see Puss in Boots overseas. It wasn't the greatest, but it was watchable.