Thread: Introductory/Interesting Physics/Maths Articles for the wiki

Type
    INTP

Introductory/Interesting Physics/Maths Articles for the wiki

So I'm gonna try getting up some introductory/interesting physics/maths content for the wiki. Does anyone have any requests or ideas? Or anyone who wants to help?

Type
    INTP
    I think a little something about the "Einstein Cross" (and related phenomena of gravitational lensing, etc) would be a fitting article for this site, considering we use it as an icon, heh.

Anyhow, from a sysop (not contributor) perspective, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. The wiki software's a little buggy at the moment once you get off the main rails of the basic functionality, so I'm on standby to deal with any problems.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I think a little something about the "Einstein Cross" (and related phenomena of gravitational lensing, etc) would be a fitting article for this site, considering we use it as an icon, heh.

Anyhow, from a sysop (not contributor) perspective, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. The wiki software's a little buggy at the moment once you get off the main rails of the basic functionality, so I'm on standby to deal with any problems.
    That's a great idea, will be a good excuse to get some basic general relativity up. Trying to avoid too much maths will be a fun challenge

And thanks, will do!

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    That's a great idea, will be a good excuse to get some basic general relativity up. Trying to avoid too much maths will be a fun challenge
    I think you should teach everyone General Relativity - with a charismatic but deep presentation style - and then as a flourish at the end of the series demonstrate the mathematical structure of the Einstein cross.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I think you should teach everyone General Relativity - with a charismatic but deep presentation style - and then as a flourish at the end of the series demonstrate the mathematical structure of the Einstein cross.
    That could actually be pretty fun. My GR is pretty rusty too, so would be a good excuse to brush up. Making GR 'introductory' is the thing I had trouble with the last time I thought about this. If enough people showed an interest I'd probably actually try this though - it didn't really go anywhere last time because nobody seemed to care :P

-
    Type
    xxxx
    There used to be a decent-ish video called "Calculus in 60 Minutes" or the like on YouTube. As one would imagine, it placed greater emphasis on entertainment than on understanding, though.