Thread: Your home vs. work (or elsewhere) setup (pics plz)

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Your home vs. work (or elsewhere) setup (pics plz)

This is my "studio" slash home gym area. This pic is a little out of date, as I recently had an influx of donated supplies which included a bunch of plexi, some bins for better organizing my shit, soldering iron setup, electronics stuff, etc. I also moved a small twin size bed in here, mostly just to dump weight on if I fail a squat, but also to lay down on when I feel like it. My main gripe with having studio space on campus was that I didn't have a bed there or place to relax. When you're working for long hours sitting or standing, sometimes you just want to take 20-30 minutes to rest - I remember doing this on the white board you see in the background, I slept on it for about two hours one time. Ugh. My actual room has a desk but I never use it. I'm rarely in my room these days. Also not pictured is this Ikea lounge chair thingy I stole from the library.

At work I get a cubicle and unfettered (in effect) access to computer equipment. I spend a lot of time switching out monitors and playing with setups. I rather like my current one though (even with the 19inch - which I downgraded to from a 24 inch because of some color issues), although I would sort of prefer a second keyboard and mouse and third monitor, so that I can be running two dual screen setups at once (desktop and laptop). For the remainder of my time here, I plan to use this space for most of my digitally oriented work - programming, web development, online courses, Duolingo, etc, because I find myself just wanting to paint or lift or break stuff when I'm in my home studio.

The desktop workstation is kind of shit. There's the work supplied drive with a Windows 7 installation that I can't log into because everyone is too lazy to set me up on the domain (can't login without the wired connection), so I put a second drive in it and installed linux on it and get web access by tethering my phone to the campus wifi. Mostly I just prefer to work from my laptop though. Chair not pictured, but it's new - my boss got rid of my old one because he said it was "more of hammock than a chair" which is why I chose it.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

That's a pic i had to take for work OH&S to prove i worked in a safe environment while at home.

Its never actually that tidy/barren. There's a chest of draws, a plant, and go board, my scanner, two headphones, a whiteboard, some pens and some other miscellaeneous stuff usually...

I think i'd be breaking some kind of law if i tried to take a picture of my work desk. But trust me, you're not missing out on anything, its the same stock standard equipment the secretaries are using....except the biology experiment i'm running in one of the drawers, and my ungodly collection of gum wrappers I haven't thrown out for the past year or two...

Oh, and my shelf of papers, with one mysteriously categoriesd box labelled "UCTIPWRBWOPWPAF", which since you don't work with me I can reveal stands for "Unimportant crap that I probably wouldn't read but which other people will probably ask for"...

Type
    INXP
    I think that's the exact same chair I have at work right now.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Oh i know. That chair is falling apart now, but I'm amazed how often I keep seeing it pop up in movies/ads/television...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Oh i know. That chair is falling apart now, but I'm amazed how often I keep seeing it pop up in movies/ads/television...
    It looks sort of like my aeron chair that my wife got me for my 50th birthday and which I've been comfortably sitting in ever since. It's a different chair than yours, though, I think. What you sit in is really important for your health (even when you're young), according to my physical therapist.

Type
    INXP
    No one else has a battlestation?