Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (De)Humanizing Jeffrey Dahmer

Type
    xxxx

(De)Humanizing Jeffrey Dahmer

I don't understand how people can sympathise with Jeffrey Dahmer. I just don't buy that that dude had any remorse for his crimes. In high school he mocked disabled kids and vivisected woodland animals for fun. In adulthood he cut open strangers and fucked their cold bodies with their skeletons showing. He tried to create sex slaves through half-assed lobotomies. A few post-hoc apologies means NOTHING.
    I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
    ― David Bowie

www.karililt.com
    http://www.instagram.com/karililt

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    I don't understand how people can sympathise with Jeffrey Dahmer.
    Who sympathizes with Dahmer? You might want to stay far away from them.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    I don't see how believing he had any remorse has anything to do with sympathizing with him. I'd also say that the evidence you cite isn't proof he has no remorse, but proof that there are things he could be remorseful about. But, they are also things that keep me from giving a shit whether he has remorse or not--it changes nothing of what I think of the creature.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Who sympathizes with Dahmer? You might want to stay far away from them.
    inspired by

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialkiller...hmer_case_has/

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I don't see how believing he had any remorse has anything to do with sympathizing with him. I'd also say that the evidence you cite isn't proof he has no remorse, but proof that there are things he could be remorseful about. But, they are also things that keep me from giving a shit whether he has remorse or not--it changes nothing of what I think of the creature.
    Well there are people who do...
    I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
    ― David Bowie

www.karililt.com
    http://www.instagram.com/karililt

Type
    INTP
    Well, that's reddit for ya, the place where people confess their socially unacceptable thoughts and feelings. I read the linked article. I'd say that the writer is not sympathizing with Dahmer the monster but with Dahmer the shat-upon-by-everyone guy, in a "There but for the grace of God go I" kind of way.

It reminds me of the uproar over an article on Slashdot after the Columbine massacre, sympathizing with murderers Harris and Klebold as the victims of high-school bullying lashing out at their tormentors. It really struck a nerve.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    The reddit post basically says "Dahmer had a shit life and I feel bad for him even though what he did was wrong." I think you can sympathise with somebody's situation but not agree with their reaction to it. I feel sorry for Dahmer. I feel MORE sorry for his victims.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Probably the best take-home message is that children can be horribly twisted by childhood traumas and that we should all play an active role in preventing it from occurring.

It's not at all surprising that people that commit unspeakable crimes had childhoods that one could pity, but as a society it is in our best interest to express our disgust and demand for psychological treatment at the first signs of guilt-free brutality of thought or deed.

Also we should constantly re-affirm that actting out in this way will bring down the stern hand of the law.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    The reddit post basically says "Dahmer had a shit life and I feel bad for him even though what he did was wrong." I think you can sympathise with somebody's situation but not agree with their reaction to it. I feel sorry for Dahmer. I feel MORE sorry for his victims.
    People prefer to demonize, to the extent of dehumanizing. It's easier to sell sympathy for Satan than Hitler. Klosterman has some good musings on this.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    yeah, people think jeffrey dahmer is a horrible person and did horrible things because that's just the easy thing to do, not because he did horrible things or anything. dehumanize the victims, it doesn't matter, just not the guy. he's fascinating.

the shit people say sometimes.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    yeah, people think jeffrey dahmer is a horrible person and did horrible things because that's just the easy thing to do, not because he did horrible things or anything.
    You can believe he is horrible and did horrible things yet still think of him as a human. Who's dehumanizing the victims?