Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool Hacks You Can Do with Raspberry Pi

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Cool Hacks You Can Do with Raspberry Pi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_pi

Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized basic computer that you can buy for $35 or less.

Today I started playing with one, and I got a Commodore 64 emulator running on it. Also, if you add a bunch of expansion hardware to it you can create a Tor enabled wireless access point. It gets on the Interwebz and pops up a wireless network called "Onion Pi" or something like that.

http://makezine.com/2013/04/14/47-ra...ur-next-build/

There are dozens of Raspberry Pi projects out there.

I'm curious who else around here has heard of this, and who might have played with one of these. What did you read about? What did you do?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    I own two. They just sit there until I can find something to do with them.

Edit: I'd to the C64 emulator thing, except I already made one out of those joystick all-in-ones from a while back.

Type
    INTP
    I actually ordered the parts for the Tor WAP project. It sounds easy enough to build.

There's also a system for making a home security system out of one that sounds pretty easy. I really like the cases people make for Raspberry Pis. I saw one cased in a small tupperware container, and another cased in an Altoids tin with holes punched in it.

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have one also. I have done nearly nothing with it.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I have one also. I have done nearly nothing with it.
    Myself as well.

Also have an Arduino Duemilanove that gets the same treatment, I just don't have the time to tinker anymore man :/.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Myself as well.

Also have an Arduino Duemilanove that gets the same treatment, I just don't have the time to tinker anymore man :/.
    I have another microcontroller also, but it also is alone, ignored. Mostly my interest in those things is as a robot brain. Since I'm already an android dev its stands to reason a $6 ebay special android phone makes a better brain- already comes with a buttload of sensors, like cam, gps, accelerometer and it's own power supply.

That's a low priority tho as there's no money to made easily in it that I can see.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I wanted to get one of these when they first came out but they were sold out everywhere. Since then I've gotten more into embedded stuff so playing with an MSP430 is where most of my hobby time has gone. The only use I would have for one of these is putting together a media center PC, but if I ever get around to that I'll probably make something slightly more versatile in a microATX box.

Type
    INTP
    My son gave me one for Christmas but I haven't yet opened the box. I will eventually but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have been playing with Arduino for a while now. It's so much easier than the professional development systems I spent so many years working with.

I just started designing an Arduino based system to catch the a-holes who smash my mail box every year.

Type
    INTP
    i have two. one is going in my motorcycle. the other i use for a media centre, tor router, prototyping, or just about anything else that's not memory intensive.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    My son gave me one for Christmas but I haven't yet opened the box. I will eventually but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have been playing with Arduino for a while now. It's so much easier than the professional development systems I spent so many years working with.

I just started designing an Arduino based system to catch the a-holes who smash my mail box every year.
    How is this going? Is the idea basically a motion sensor + camera?