Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking a Ti loop

Type
    iNtP

Breaking a Ti loop

I am wondering if anyone has any practical exercises (or useful information) on how to break a reoccurring Ti loop? I am of the opinion it is habitual, with the thinker pulling everything back to itself for a kind of self preservation while giving a sense of purpose to the other functions in doing so. I am hoping that helps spark anyone's creative intelligence or problem solving.
    Last edited by mhc; 04-12-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    iNtP
    also, I have found nature walks help..

and a change of scenery where perception has to become more dominant

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has any practical exercises (or useful information) on how to break a reoccurring Ti loop?
    Can you give an example?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    What is a Ti loop? Is this like an ear worm? (you know, like when you can't stop hearing a song in your head)

Type
    INfj
    stop being a computer. just because a problem is undecideable doesn't mean you have to continue executing to infinity. a maximum iterations heuristics would serve.

in general: distractions. find something more fun to think about, and think about that instead.

edit: a Ti loop is when you get stuck thinking about something and you can't find a proper solution to it, so you keep thinking about it, even though you know there isn't enough information or there isn't an adequate solution.

Most people just call it 'worrying', but for INTPs it can be something slightly different, like trying to find a closed-form solution to a differential equation that doesn't have one.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    iNtP
    what i am referring to may be different to what is technically called a Ti loop , perhaps. i will try and describe it as best i can: identifying with the thinker (Ti) as a perception of reality. i am not referring to continual thinking, i am aware of my thinking and can stop it at my discretion, but as i say, my reality is made up of perceptions of the world from my thinking.

hope that makes sense

Type
    INTP
    You know, it's interesting. When I have a problem I can't solve, I drop it, and I go off and work on something else. Inevitably, when I get back to the original problem, if I can't yet solve it, at least I have some new ideas about it. For example, I like to do crossword puzzles. When I get stuck, I just walk away. When I come back to it, I often get several more words. It's uncanny--it regularly happens. The brain needs to get away from conscious effort so it can work its subconscious magic. I'm an amateur mathematician, and math(s) works this way, too. At least, it always has for me.

Type
    iNtP
    rough example: think of something to do, do it, all things derived from it parse back to thinker, after the experience i am only left with a perception of the experience from the thinker. basically all the other functions are wrapped (or the Ti is a wrapper of the other functions) within the Ti.

another way to put it, the reward system is being utilised by the Ti leading to more thinking

Type
    INfj
    It sounds like you've invented a new mental illness
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    iNtP
    i have just thought that if i utilise my Ti to think of something to do which aims the reward to another function and then do it until it is habit, it should switch things around a bit.
    Last edited by mhc; 04-12-2014 at 10:52 PM.