Page 557 of 558 FirstFirst ... 57457507547555556557558 LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 5579

Thread: Little pockets of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Poor guy, he's clumsily trying to show gratitude... But yeah, it's hard when someone close just can't and won't engage the world. Some people can't engage reality on other people's terms. And ironically, that is a tremendous obstacle to personal autonomy.
    Sigh .. yup.

I've got a cold, first one in at least 6 months. Not happy about it. It's the season for illness, and everybody at work is especially going to be ill.. which no doubts means i'll be ill soon.

I'm at my mom's helping with the decorating.. I tried getting my brother involved to occupy his time, unfortunately he's almost completely incompetent, which means I'll end up doing it all myself.

I just don't get how others don't do jobs right, are they blind? Stupid? Do they have no standards? Ugh..
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    Good point. That's a possibility. I've done some ballroom and Latin dancing in the past, and I've run into the rare partner who stoically tried to maintain eye contact throughout. As you said, it's wrong but some try to do it.

I suppose it gets down to whether the guy danced the same way with other partners, and/or whether he tried to make eye contact with you when not dancing with you.

I agree that the dancing context creates a degree of uncertainty. Things can get a little bizarre on the dancefloor when dancing with lots of different partners. Especially with the sexes switching up traditional roles.
    I've also danced a number of different dance styles and have also found constant eye contact to be a rare issue. I never heard any guidance in any of the classes on what to do with your eyes. It's probably for the best to let people figure that out for themselves. When learning to dance, people are already concentrating on what to do with their feet and hands. Knowing the appropriate amount of eye contact should come naturally and apparently does for most people.

I only remember one other dancing instance when someone's constant eye contact made me uncomfortable. That was years ago waltzing with a beautiful elegantly dressed young woman. She had long evening gloves, which qualifies as elegant for me. I fault my lack of confidence at the time for my discomfort in that instance.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    I've also danced a number of different dance styles and have also found constant eye contact to be a rare issue. I never heard any guidance in any of the classes on what to do with your eyes. It's probably for the best to let people figure that out for themselves. When learning to dance, people are already concentrating on what to do with their feet and hands. Knowing the appropriate amount of eye contact should come naturally and apparently does for most people.

I only remember one other dancing instance when someone's constant eye contact made me uncomfortable. That was years ago waltzing with a beautiful elegantly dressed young woman. She had long evening gloves, which qualifies as elegant for me. I fault my lack of confidence at the time for my discomfort in that instance.
    This is a tangent, but:

The most distressing partner-related problems I ever had on the dance floor were two separate instances of older women who had large, pillowy bosoms with lots of cleavage and kept their hands in tight close to their bodies. I would release their hand as I spun them in a fast dance (a cha-cha or swing or whatever); and when I reached to grab their hand to stop the spin, I missed their hand and wound up instead with a handful of breast or smacked their bosom on the side.

In both cases, it happened not once but a couple times: I guess I kept trying out different turns and kept losing track of their hand in the turn. I was apologetic, and the women just smiled. Finally I gave up trying to turn them and just stuck to the basic step for the remainder of the dance. It was actually quite distressing for me. I was focused on doing the steps right, and the last thing I needed was to get keep getting my hand tangled in their cleavage.

Not that any of this has anything to do with your own situation. But misadventures and misunderstandings definitely happen on the dancefloor. I still remember those two dances vividly after all these years. God only knows what those two women thought of me. Maybe the same thing happened to them a lot; or maybe they thought I was one of those guys who uses dancing to gets "handsy" with women. Who knows.
    Last edited by RDF; 09-12-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Type
    INTx
    ^LOL. I'd bet it happens to them a lot and that they're good at distinguishing unintentional boob contact from cheap thrill seeking; and between actual embarrassment and lechery.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    ^LOL. I'd bet it happens to them a lot and that they're good at distinguishing unintentional boob contact from cheap thrill seeking; and between actual embarrassment and lechery.
    Well if worst came to worst and I had to defend myself in a court of law, I would use a "fog-of-war" defense. But in my case it would be "the fog of swing dancing with big-bosomed women."

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    Well if worst came to worst and I had to defend myself in a court of law, I would use a "fog-of-war" defense. But in my case it would be "the fog of swing dancing with big-bosomed women."
    You'd have to get off. There would be reasonable doubt to any lecherous intent.

Type
    INTP
    Weird pregnancy related things:

A big belly.
    Spots on my nipples.
    Excessive forearm hair growth

Dafuq.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I am loving the music player and catalogue organiser, MusicBee. It's the Bee's knees.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Weird pregnancy related things:

A big belly.
    Um, isn't that pretty much a standard pregnancy related thing?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Um, isn't that pretty much a standard pregnancy related thing?
    Um.. yeah .. it's just weird having a big belly.