Page 406 of 460 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408416456 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 4592

Thread: Little pockets of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Type
    INTP
    I've got to stop posting cynical Facebook status' about how much I'd rather be dead than awake...

I wouldn't mind but I post about once a week romanticising death.. half my friends know that's just morning me, but apparently the other half still haven't figured.

Fuckbuddy just messaged to say my posts had been "getting a bit grim lately".. how the fuck would he know, he's only been on there a month!

Didn't he notice the recent posts where I'm dating somebody new, who isn't him?!

I replied back and asked if he was referring to a video of a "Savage Ant Sacrifice" that I shared..

Douche.

All I ever wanted
    Was the secrets that you keep
    All you ever wanted
    Was the truth I couldn't speak

~ Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Weird.

I have a bump below my jaw, on the left, that I keep picking at. I'd like to dig it out with a knife.
    Do you ever worry that an artificial device may have been implanted into your body without your knowledge?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Do you ever worry that an artificial device may have been implanted into your body without your knowledge?
    I'm not interesting enough to have considered that a possibility, I think I'm safe.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    intp
    My ex's cousins kid just won Le Mans. Learning to drive by drifting 'round the back paddock in an old dunger must have paid off.

Type
    INTP
    Referring to a piece of machinery as "her"... Ugh, get a life!

All I ever wanted
    Was the secrets that you keep
    All you ever wanted
    Was the truth I couldn't speak

~ Linkin Park

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    It's interesting that it's one of the few gendered nouns we have left in English. I wonder if the way we use it is similar to how it is used in other languages where almost everything has a gender. Or maybe we treat it a bit differently now because it's a special case.

------

I think I'm fucking up my life through inaction and procrastination. I'm supposed to apply for uni by the end of June. I've been procrastinating on that for a while. I spoke to a few professors a few months ago. They were very supportive and encouraging. Then I spoke to the head of the school of maths and he seemed less so.

I was speaking with those potential supervisors about 'topic models', which is machine learning to figure out what a bit of text is about, in some cases. Then you can create a structural model of stuff, based on similarity of topics, and there are a bunch of problems with those models that need a bit of research done on them. Could be kind of cool. Modelling the huge proliferation of digital stuff that keeps getting pumped out into the world and contributing in some way to come up with ways to make more sense of that, or something.

Would I get a job from that? I don't know...

But now I'm not sure. Maybe it's just a wanky field. I went into the university a couple days ago and walked around and I kind of get a bit of an oppressive vibe there. Quite possible this is all in my head, and I have some issues. I get the feeling everyone's walking around thinking they're really important. Doing important work. But more like a confined and restricted sense. It's not whimsical. It's "I'm working hard so I don't drown". Not actually mentally liberating, because you're just another rat amongst all the other academics trying to climb over each other, desperately trying to make some impact.

This sort of perception has been making me feel pretty uneasy. Is that really a good place to be?

Lately I've been thinking about the very poor job market here. My perception is that a lot of jobs are just disappearing, and that it's inevitable that unemployment can only increase over time. I think a solution is that rather than looking for someone else to hire them, maybe those people (including me) need to somehow create new sources of wealth. Add some new value somewhere. Become self-employed in some sense. I don't really know how I would do that. It's a vague idea.

Lately I've been thinking that maybe I can learn more efficiently on my own, without the messiness of the whole academic system. Maybe I'm deluding myself. I need to be a bit more disciplined.

Or else become some kind of freelance person who does programming stuff. I'm not at that skill level yet. I'm not sure how realistic it is. But it's an aspiration.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    *fannyfart*

(Here in the US, that's just a regular fart!)
    Well, there it is.

Type
    intp
    My favourite of the 9 ski runs that need to be renamed...

Kiwi Flats | Mammoth Mountain, CA | ‘Eat Sh*t And Die’

This run is not flat like its name suggests. It’s f*cking steep as sh*it and should have profanity and death in its title… for obvious reasons.

Morningside Lift Line | Steamboat Resort, CO — ‘Texas Terrain Park’

The lowest angle slope in all of Colorado is an obvious favorite among Texans looking to send it. A natural kicker in the middle of the run is the only highlight on the otherwise flat slope but catching a Texan go fat to flat is priceless– hence the need for a name change.

Maybe they should rename Corbett's Couloir at Jackson Hole after Hank Bilious from Wanaka sent it earlier this year...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    You could cut your nose hair all you want but that will never give you the satisfaction you get from yanking them out. They say they grow back thicker but hair scholars know a hair will only re-grow so many times, then it's gone. Scissor pussies.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    My favourite of the 9 ski runs that need to be renamed...
    I went downhill skiing for the first time in March. It was a lot of fun and I was better at it than I would have expected. That being said, it's too bad it's so expensive.