Page 654 of 666 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654655656664 ... LastLast
Results 6,531 to 6,540 of 6659

Thread: Little pockets of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

  1. #6531
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    That God was probably a false God.
    Look I don't want to force you to anything, because Islam don't believe in forcing. I know we are superior. Not me, my God. And according to The First Commandment you have to Believe in Allah, our God is one God.

  2. #6532
    Senior Member Sinny's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by peacewarrior View Post
    Look I don't want to force you to anything, because Islam don't believe in forcing. I know we are superior. Not me, my God. And according to The First Commandment you have to Believe in Allah, our God is one God.
    Why is your God superior to all other Gods?
    All truth passes through three stages:

    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.


  3. #6533
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Why is your God superior to all other Gods?
    The easy answer is Faith - disbelievers also have (inferior) Faith. I Believe like disbelievers my own Faith is Superior or in MBTI dominant.

    However, I don't want to force anything. I want to be free from being agressed against. I think we all agree to attack the attacker/bully. I want peace. Islam means peace, but were defensive (like martial Arts), however we're not offensive.

  4. #6534
    Senior Member roki's Avatar
    Type
    istj
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by peacewarrior View Post
    The easy answer is Faith - disbelievers also have (inferior) Faith. I Believe like disbelievers my own Faith is Superior or in MBTI dominant.

    However, I don't want to force anything. I want to be free from being agressed against. I think we all agree to attack the attacker/bully. I want peace. Islam means peace, but were defensive (like martial Arts), however we're not offensive.
    Allah la vista baby
    flat tire ferarri

  5. #6535
    Senior Member Starjots's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,237
    Look, sometimes I try to sound neutral. But when it comes down to it, I despise/loathe/detest/retch at/abhor/am disgusted by/hate/dismiss dogmatism, especially in religion. Actually I didn't say that strongly enough, but you know, neutrality.

  6. #6536
    Senior Member roki's Avatar
    Type
    istj
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,003
    One of my irrational fears is that one day I wake up after a Freaky Friday body swap in the international space center as an astronaut. I'm terrified of space and even other astronauts. They're the champions of sensation-seeking. I wonder what groomed them to be so courageous, and what groomed me to be such a sissy-- afraid of rollercoasters/rides, old-looking elevators, and many animals. I wish I were hanging more to the left of the center between astronaut and agoraphobe.
    flat tire ferarri

  7. #6537
    TJ TeresaJ's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    mosquito-infested hell
    Posts
    4,244
    I don't remember which thread it was in, but I keep randomly remembering what @starla said about wishing we could swap alliances between Saudis and Iranians.

    Part of me is like, Yes, that would be awesome. Iranian culture is super rich and interesting. We'd have way more in common, general population to general population. Cosmopolitan urbanites could relate. Conservative rural folks could relate. And just speaking of myself... Some of my favorite films are Iranian. Some of my favorite writers are Iranian. Hell, some of my favorite friends are Iranian.

    It would be a more complicated relationship, of course, and the Iranian government is plenty problematic in some ways.

    From a US government standpoint, I can see the appeal of the Saudis - straightforward oil-baron extremists. Simple and relatively predictable. And the fact that they're actively funding and fueling the terrorism side of our eternal war on terrorism... Well, one could argue that that suits the hawks in the government just fine.

    Not that we could just switch alliances, 1984 style, even if enough of the powerful people wanted to. Ah well.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

  8. #6538
    Ieilaelite pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I don't remember which thread it was in, but I keep randomly remembering what @starla said about wishing we could swap alliances between Saudis and Iranians.

    Part of me is like, Yes, that would be awesome. Iranian culture is super rich and interesting. We'd have way more in common, general population to general population. Cosmopolitan urbanites could relate. Conservative rural folks could relate. And just speaking of myself... Some of my favorite films are Iranian. Some of my favorite writers are Iranian. Hell, some of my favorite friends are Iranian.

    It would be a more complicated relationship, of course, and the Iranian government is plenty problematic in some ways.

    From a US government standpoint, I can see the appeal of the Saudis - straightforward oil-baron extremists. Simple and relatively predictable. And the fact that they're actively funding and fueling the terrorism side of our eternal war on terrorism... Well, one could argue that that suits the hawks in the government just fine.

    Not that we could just switch alliances, 1984 style, even if enough of the powerful people wanted to. Ah well.
    Saudi Arabia has a lot more oil than Iran, and it's in the middle of a lot more oil-rich countries. Iran is next to Afghanistan and Pakistan, and across the Caspian from Russia. The USSR backed Iran so it only made sense that USA would back Saudi against them. The Suez Canal is also really important to NATO and after all the shit in the 70s with Israel and Egypt, it's really valuable to not have Saudi as an enemy too. Also Saudi has Mecca which is a significant resource. Iran has kinda just been fucked since the fall of the USSR and they know it, hence them trying to get nukes. If Saddam hadn't fucked things up then there probably would have been another invasion of Iran in the 90s. And it should be obvious by now that there was never any war on terror, just the same old geopolitical maneuvering to increase American control over the region. And 9/11 was an inside job.

  9. #6539
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Saudi Arabia has a lot more oil than Iran, and it's in the middle of a lot more oil-rich countries. Iran is next to Afghanistan and Pakistan, and across the Caspian from Russia. The USSR backed Iran so it only made sense that USA would back Saudi against them. The Suez Canal is also really important to NATO and after all the shit in the 70s with Israel and Egypt, it's really valuable to not have Saudi as an enemy too. Also Saudi has Mecca which is a significant resource. Iran has kinda just been fucked since the fall of the USSR and they know it, hence them trying to get nukes. If Saddam hadn't fucked things up then there probably would have been another invasion of Iran in the 90s. And it should be obvious by now that there was never any war on terror, just the same old geopolitical maneuvering to increase American control over the region. And 9/11 was an inside job.
    Kinda surprising how advanced Iran's missiles have got over the years considering they've been outcasts since 1979. The attack on Aramco that knocked out 5% of the world's oil supply was precise. I was a little surprised reading the comments in an Independent article the other day, most of which were of the opinion that the US actions against Iran validate their decision to get a nuclear deterrent.


  10. #6540
    Ieilaelite pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Kinda surprising how advanced Iran's missiles have got over the years considering they've been outcasts since 1979. The attack on Aramco that knocked out 5% of the world's oil supply was precise. I was a little surprised reading the comments in an Independent article the other day, most of which were of the opinion that the US actions against Iran validate their decision to get a nuclear deterrent.
    The precision is good, but the only way any of them are getting to the target is with a swarm attack like that one. Houthis have been trying those same mini-cruise missile attacks for a while and nearly always had no practical effect because of air defense systems. It seems like they were kind of lucky in this particular attack as well, with the air defense personnel being notably unready and poorly trained.

    So they're going to need to produce a lot of these things to do anything meaningful with them. Drone/missile swarms have been something "on the horizon" for a very long time now, with the biggest problem being making them go far enough and fast enough for cheap enough. You have to weigh the cost of producing them against the potential cost to the enemy of their likely damage, which is why ICBMs only make sense with nuclear warheads.

    But the more endless war there is, the cheaper the hardware gets, the more attacks like that we'll see. It will be interesting to see what kinds of new defenses are deployed to deal with them. I hear a lot of talk about lasers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •