Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bored by Learning

Type
    INTP

Bored by Learning

I used to love discussion and debate. Lately, however, I feel like nothing surprises me and nothing is worth the energy of research or argument. My general working theory of life, the universe, and everything has reached a point where I can intuit a broad sort of answer to just about anything - enough to satisfy myself, at least.

I don't read the news anymore because it's all pretty much the same. Artsy European movies are all pretty much the same. Spiritual development guides are all pretty much the same. Etc.

In a way it's liberating. Now I can use my time doing physical activities I enjoy or trying to find ways to execute some of my conclusions.

...I guess I just figured that it would take at least a few more decades to come to this point, but here I am at thirty feeling... intellectually satisfied.

Is that weird? Is it just a phase? Anyone else experience something like this?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I know the feeling. I think it's just a phase. I think there are a few solutions, neither of which I have mastered.

One is achieving a self-direction and focus with learning, so that one is not a mere dilettante. In school this was always forced upon me, and never something I developed the ability to do for myself. I think it is possible to gain this ability. I am not there at all.

Another is having people to share the fruits of this with, who you don't have to worry about making them feel inferior. This is harder.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    You need more people with more interesting perspectives. Now I daresay that there is diminishing returns on this. But discovering or learning something entirely against the world-picture you have built up becomes more and more exquisite the rarer it gets - and the more surprising it is to fit outside the pattern of what you know.

But equally simple ennui seems to me exactly what narcotic substances are for.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I guess y'all are right. I am currently breastfeeding, so no narcotics, alas. Outside of the internet, I don't think I'll find much in the way of intellectual stimulation, not any time soon.

Most likely this is a phase, so I should just try to enjoy the nice hazy feeling of boredom and baby fatigue.

I did start working my way through codecademy, but that falls into the category of "possibly useful" rather than "fascinating".

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I used to love discussion and debate. Lately, however, I feel like nothing surprises me and nothing is worth the energy of research or argument. My general working theory of life, the universe, and everything has reached a point where I can intuit a broad sort of answer to just about anything - enough to satisfy myself, at least.

I don't read the news anymore because it's all pretty much the same. Artsy European movies are all pretty much the same. Spiritual development guides are all pretty much the same. Etc.

In a way it's liberating. Now I can use my time doing physical activities I enjoy or trying to find ways to execute some of my conclusions.

...I guess I just figured that it would take at least a few more decades to come to this point, but here I am at thirty feeling... intellectually satisfied.

Is that weird? Is it just a phase?
    Anyone else experience something like this?
    yes
    someone else said this: "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again"

have you heard of abstract objects? from this perspective everything is the same. everything is a thing

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...961-mhc-poetry
    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...king-a-Ti-loop
    Just look at the blue sky

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I did start working my way through codecademy, but that falls into the category of "possibly useful" rather than "fascinating".
    Coding can be like that till you grok the kind of... philosophical beauty of the computer, which is often obscured by workaday applications and programming languages.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Sounds like you're just burnt out. Otherwise I doubt you'd be making this topic. I bet if you completely disengage from learning and intellectual pursuits of any kind and just take as long as you want to be physical or vegetative, it will come back. These things go in cycles.

I think trying to "solve" it would be counterproductive, and keep you burnt out longer. Just go with it. Give up, like you give up on staying awake when you finally sink into your bed after a long, hard day of work.

Type
    intp
    dopamine shortage

you need to get out; change of scenery. try reading/watching something weird and far from your usual choices, maybe a different kind of foreign than artsy european (ever watched crappy japanese movies?)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by joft View Post
    (ever watched crappy japanese movies?)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    ...Hm.

Hey guys, I've been inspired.