Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Programmer's Den

Type
    INTj

Programmer's Den

A place to discuss any and all programming... I haven't found my calling in life yet, but programming is my favorite past time at the moment; aside from other things which are not socially acceptable and/or dangerous.

I'm currently fluent in:
    1. PHP
    2. SQL
    3. CSS
    4. JS
    5. HTML
    6. Arduino

I'm actively trying to become fluent in (in descending order)
    1. Java
    2. HDL
    3. Objective C
    4. C#
    5. C++

You can see my failure at a Java relay program here, http://www.coderanch.com/t/631893/ja...r-Client-Relay, the old timers really know what they're doing, and I really, really don't :/...

So, tell me about any coding projects you're working on!! I want to know, I must have information .
    Last edited by Perdix; 04-16-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Learning a programming language is easy, especially when you already know one.

Doing something original and worthwhile is much harder.

I'm making a compiler at the moment for a language I've designed.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    What counts as fluency? I don't think I'll ever feel "fluent" in a language.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    What counts as fluency? I don't think I'll ever feel "fluent" in a language.
    Heh, I mean I can write to almost the fullest extent of the language and not need a reference. If there is an error I can fix it almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Learning a programming language is easy, especially when you already know one.

Doing something original and worthwhile is much harder.

I'm making a compiler at the moment for a language I've designed.
    It's easy if you know an object oriented language, php is nowhere close to Java. I can write functional code, I just can't write as much as I wish.

I only try to do original stuff, agreed, it is much more worthwhile.

What does your language do? Is it in raw machine code :??.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Heh, I mean I can write to almost the fullest extent of the language and not need a reference. If there is an error I can fix it almost instantly.
    Yeah that probably won't ever be me.

Type
    INTj
    Yeah that probably won't ever be me.
    Just practice, it helps...

PS: I always thought you were a cool guy ferrus, super smart and you blend philosophy and science together in the most beautiful way. //random-complement

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'm "fluent" in SAS and Common Lisp.

I wouldn't consider myself fluent in R, python, or C, but they don't bother me. Actually that's not entirely true...R bothers me on an intellectual level in that I try not to use it if it can at all be avoided. Course, what one considered fluent differs depending on how far one sees. I wouldn't consider the people around me who use R each day to be fluent in it, and I've had to help them with it at times.

I can't share with you my last project or two, for it gives away my identity too easily, but I currently have on the backburner a data linking program, and I'm currently working on predictive modelling of sports gambling...because I am sick of working...

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    What does your language do? Is it in raw machine code :??.
    No. It uses Flex for the lexing, Bison for the parsing, and C code for the rest.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    I'm "fluent" in SAS and Common Lisp.

I wouldn't consider myself fluent in R, python, or C, but they don't bother me. Actually that's not entirely true...R bothers me on an intellectual level in that I try not to use it if it can at all be avoided. Course, what one considered fluent differs depending on how far one sees. I wouldn't consider the people around me who use R each day to be fluent in it, and I've had to help them with it at times.

I can't share with you my last project or two, for it gives away my identity too easily, but I currently have on the backburner a data linking program, and I'm currently working on predictive modelling of sports gambling...because I am sick of working...
    I have a few books on genetic algorithms if you want to team up and train your gambling bot .

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    No. It uses Flex for the lexing, Bison for the parsing, and C code for the rest.
    I need to read up on those so I can form a coherent response...
    Last edited by Perdix; 04-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I have a few books on genetic algorithms if you want to team up and train your gambling bot .
    Well, i'm trying to do it specifically so i don't have to work with anyone else :P No offense, nothing personal. I won't say never to working with others, indeed for most things its necessary, but I'm doing it in lisp also partly because I'm trying to do it all myself. If it doesn't work sufficiently i'll open source it/team up with others, but for now I'm being all creepy hermit guy...