Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Programmer's Den

Type
    intp
    I'm finally getting into the Unity thing after a couple of crappy tutorials that obfuscate the issue.

This tutorial was really good because it is simple and just shows the basic stuff about how to lay things down and connect it up with code to make stuff happen. I don't want to see people clicking a million times to make assets look nice. I want the programming part. This is a really good tutorial to go from not knowing anything to being able to probably figure out just about anything.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I'm finally getting into the Unity thing after a couple of crappy tutorials that obfuscate the issue.
    Unity is good but suffers from the same problem as all high level inversion of control API's do, which is it's great to get started and it sucks further along. Doesn't stop people from building games on it though, I'm doing same.

Type
    intp
    I wonder what other members here do in this situation:

for the last 1.5 weeks I've had high motivation, staying back late at work to learn new things. Today it just plummeted. The task I have to do should be easy. But it's just tedious. I think I tend to work in waves of high production, contrasting with low. I like to just work with that, rather than fight against it. But I don't know how acceptable that is.

A while ago, after some very productive time, my 'mentor' guy at work seemed to think that he should give me some direction. So he told me to do something, and it just really killed all my motivation. I obviously should try to do what he had suggested, but it was against where my current motivation was at that time, and so I was just fighting against things.

Today, I pretty much just wanted to do nothing. I actually think that is sometimes very good for your brain. I ended up looking up some fairly unrelated programming stuff that was above my level, but just somewhat interesting, but was also a bit paranoid that my 'mentor guy' would look over and ask why I'm not spending every moment of my time doing exactly something for the specific job we're doing. Whereas in reality, I think I know that I need to twist my mental motivation around to that state, rather than try to bludgeon it in -- at least I think that is how it needs to be.

My job isn't especially technical compared to some programmers (I guess?), but still, I don't think I've really had a job before that is fairly focused on utilising some intellectual thing. In comparison I had a job stacking boxes once, and if you have an uninspired day, you probably can still stack boxes. But how I can say "I just am struggling to be able to think about this tedious problem today"? Perhaps I'll come up with some better strategies over time.

Also the noise at work is sometimes very inhibiting. If people are talking nearby it really bothers me. I've got some better reasonably noise-cancelling headphones coming -- hoping to be able to create a solitary world-thing with them.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I wonder what other members here do in this situation:

for the last 1.5 weeks I've had high motivation, staying back late at work to learn new things. Today it just plummeted. The task I have to do should be easy. But it's just tedious. I think I tend to work in waves of high production, contrasting with low. I like to just work with that, rather than fight against it. But I don't know how acceptable that is.

A while ago, after some very productive time, my 'mentor' guy at work seemed to think that he should give me some direction. So he told me to do something, and it just really killed all my motivation. I obviously should try to do what he had suggested, but it was against where my current motivation was at that time, and so I was just fighting against things.

Today, I pretty much just wanted to do nothing. I actually think that is sometimes very good for your brain. I ended up looking up some fairly unrelated programming stuff that was above my level, but just somewhat interesting, but was also a bit paranoid that my 'mentor guy' would look over and ask why I'm not spending every moment of my time doing exactly something for the specific job we're doing. Whereas in reality, I think I know that I need to twist my mental motivation around to that state, rather than try to bludgeon it in -- at least I think that is how it needs to be.

My job isn't especially technical compared to some programmers (I guess?), but still, I don't think I've really had a job before that is fairly focused on utilising some intellectual thing. In comparison I had a job stacking boxes once, and if you have an uninspired day, you probably can still stack boxes. But how I can say "I just am struggling to be able to think about this tedious problem today"? Perhaps I'll come up with some better strategies over time.

Also the noise at work is sometimes very inhibiting. If people are talking nearby it really bothers me. I've got some better reasonably noise-cancelling headphones coming -- hoping to be able to create a solitary world-thing with them.
    you will actually be counter productive by trying to force productivity. fun things art fun if they're 24/7 (tho there are still some things that ide have a crack at to try and disprove that ) if you find yourself getting bored do something that you like. then when your good at that try and meld those things you like back to your work and let the productivity naturally flow back
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    @scarydoor, I get boom-and-bust motivation as well for side projects. Firmly on the bust side of things when I don't sleep well. The idea for me is to create a web map application using the esri javascript api and asp.net. Not because I want to, but to help future job prospects.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"