Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Programmer's Den

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Well, i'm trying to do it specifically so i don't have to work with anyone else :P No offense, nothing personal. I won't say never to working with others, indeed for most things its necessary, but I'm doing it in lisp also partly because I'm trying to do it all myself. If it doesn't work sufficiently i'll open source it/team up with others, but for now I'm being all creepy hermit guy...
    I gotchya, it makes sense to go solo on your project. I would recommend trying to program crypto-coin trading bots, even if you aren't into cryptos they aren't controlled by HFT super computers, yet. One of my programmer friends gets a solid 4% growth per month with his...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I gotchya, it makes sense to go solo on your project. I would recommend trying to program crypto-coin trading bots, even if you aren't into cryptos they aren't controlled by HFT super computers, yet. One of my programmer friends gets a solid 4% growth per month with his...
    I'm actually considering doing this.

Type
    INTP
    I do my work in C#, which I quite like. Though I'll never forgive them for forcing me to call the super constructor first thing in a constructor. C++, C, and Python are what I mostly used in college. Java and PHP in high school. Objective-C during two internships. Got some exposure to Prolog, Scheme, Lisp, x84 & MIPS assembly in college. Have been using Javascript for some Greasemonkey scripts. I think that's basically it. The only ones I'd say are still in the front of my brain are C, C++, and C#. Also SQL though I don't usually consider that a programming language. Same with CSS. And LabVIEW.

derp

damn INTPs are too smart :/ (not sarcastic)

beginning in smalltalk...I know nothing

Type
    INTP
    I've thought of starting a project a few times, but what comes to mind is either nothing, or something way too grandiose. I should be practicing with something mundane.

Type
    INTP
    I've worked on a lot of projects. Wrote a commercial language, architect for 5M line systems, presently working on a much smaller system and doing a lot of wearable/handheld stuff. It's all interesting.

Type
    INTP
    I'm currently taking a data structures class in C, it's fun. Operating Systems is going to be in C as well, which pleases me. I had to take my first two CS classes in Java which doesn't interest me. I like C because I think I want to go into embedded systems when I grow up. Other classes have required me to do stuff with Python, Matlab, Verilog and C++ and I've done things on my own with some of those two. When I was in high school there weren't any programming classes but I spent a lot of "free" time messing around with TI BASIC on my graphing calculator since it was the only computer I had. I guess if we're listing things like html can we also talk about LaTeX? I've gotten halfway fluent with that just marking up homework. What about bash?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I started programming with just school stuff in Java, C, and C++. On my own, I briefly explored LISP and Prolog, and I continued coding in C/C++ to solve Project Euler stuff. That was before I went all homeless and basically lost regular access to a computer for a long time.

When I was whole again, I discovered Processing and, despite it reopening my imagination, I kind of forgot about it for years. I later started trying to relearn C in more depth, and then picked up Python just to do my statistics homework.

School forced Processing on me again and, by far, I've done more work in the PDE with Processing than I've done in all other languages combined. Processing is just a better way to be creative, I think, especially for visually-oriented people primarily interested in visually-oriented applications. I've dipped my toes into OpenFrameworks and Cinder, but I've found working with XCode to be a turnoff. I've also branched into hardware (via Arduino), and Android development w/ IntelliJ - also use Processing core libraries in IntelliJ.

Then of course there's the web stuff with HTML5, CSS3, JS, jQuery, PHP, MYSQL, blah blah. Honestly, I kind of hate web stuff. PHP sucks the biggest dick ever. I thought the HTML5 canvas tag would be some kind of revelation for me, but attempting a full project on it was an awful experience. Nothing quite beats the kind of freedom you get building standalone apps in Java or C++.

The type of activity that I find the least appealing is the initial setup for frameworks where I need to install and configure 9,999 different pieces of software before I ever write a line of code, basically anything that requires a step-by-step tutorial to set up, where each step itself requires another set of tutorials, and none of them are guaranteed to work - and none of the software itself is guaranteed to work. Yet, I still obsessively do this kind of shit, because I'm some kind of sick fucker.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    The type of activity that I find the least appealing is the initial setup for frameworks where I need to install and configure 9,999 different pieces of software before I ever write a line of code, basically anything that requires a step-by-step tutorial to set up, where each step itself requires another set of tutorials, and none of them are guaranteed to work - and none of the software itself is guaranteed to work. Yet, I still obsessively do this kind of shit, because I'm some kind of sick fucker.
    This is exactly what I am doing at work right now. Trying to get Maven and JavaFX to play nice. Which is hard because the idiots at Oracle didn't decide to put JavaFX on the classpath by default until Java8.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INXX
    I started in BASIC in 1982 and I still use it.

I get a lot of guff about it and I laugh.

All the way to the bank.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.