Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lynda.com

Type
    xxxx

lynda.com

anybody a member of lynda.com? would you recommend it?

i'd really love to have access to all the courses, but paying for a year or even a month would be kinda pricey for me. still, if i hear enough good things, i'm willing to do that. it'd still be cheaper than doing courses at a college, many of which are online anyway.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My experience with Lynda has been positive. It's helped me get up to speed on a lot of things a lot faster than I would have been able to otherwise. I've found that overall the videos are pretty informative and easy to follow. I've only encountered one class that I really didn't like.

I convinced my employer to pay for my subscription as part of my professional development. I've learned enough good tips for it to be worth doing, though I don't know if I use it enough month to month to justify a monthly subscription. I think though that if (when) I leave my job I'd probably just subscribe for a month here and there as a refresher, at times when I'm less busy, like I did when I was freelancing.

Type
    INTP
    How does it compare to Khan Academy?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Different focus. Lynda's mostly dedicated toward graphics and design software.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    My experience with Lynda has been positive. It's helped me get up to speed on a lot of things a lot faster than I would have been able to otherwise. I've found that overall the videos are pretty informative and easy to follow. I've only encountered one class that I really didn't like.

I convinced my employer to pay for my subscription as part of my professional development. I've learned enough good tips for it to be worth doing, though I don't know if I use it enough month to month to justify a monthly subscription. I think though that if (when) I leave my job I'd probably just subscribe for a month here and there as a refresher, at times when I'm less busy, like I did when I was freelancing.
    cool. which class did you not like?

i wouldn't ask my employer to pay for any of my studies cuz i'm not really sure i want a future with them. i value my job as an outlet to "test drive" stuff i'm learning, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be much for me.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I just noticed there is a whole course on using regular expressions. Wut?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    What do the courses consist of exactly? Could you pay for one month then just download everything?

Type
    INTP
    I think they are pretty good. I'd actually prefer going through books because then I could have more control over the pace, and skip over stuff I already know, but that would be awfully expensive. From what I can tell the courses mostly teach you about how to use the software. For instance if you want to learn about typography, I don't think Lynda.com is going to help much. My employer pays for the upgraded subscription which includes all the exercise files, which is very nice, but if I was paying for it myself I'd go with the basic membership.

Type
    INTP
    I subscribed to lynda.com for a few months and I really liked it. I learned how to use InDesign, how to design a book (love Nigel French!), how to use AutoCad (only 2d), and how to use color. I really liked all of them, especially the color course, as it was the first time I really understood how to combine colours. That teacher was very good.

Too bad they don't have that free 1 month trial anymore. I recommend you subscribe if you already have a few courses in mind, then cancel. You probably won't need it for long, and it's a waste of money to keep it forever. Make a list of things you want to learn and use your time well.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I just noticed there is a whole course on using regular expressions. Wut?
    There are entire books devoted to regular expressions, so I'm not surprised there is a course on them.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic