Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to you, maybe.

Type
    INTP

New to you, maybe.

Came, saw, lurked, posted, lurked some more. Actually modded another personality forum once and I'm not eager to do so again. A new username seemed fitting since I haven't posted regularly anywhere in a good long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm not sure what the fallout will be, but the pejoratives will be glorious.

Type
    INTP
    Did you ever post on INTPc? or would you prefer a clean slate?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
    Actually modded another personality forum once and I'm not eager to do so again.
    Yeah? I'm curious - why not?

Type
    INTP
    Came, saw, lurked, posted, lurked some more. Actually modded another personality forum once and I'm not eager to do so again. A new username seemed fitting since I haven't posted regularly anywhere in a good long time.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Did you ever post on INTPc? or would you prefer a clean slate?
    Yes, and meh. I was Twitch on INTPc, but I don't think I ever made much of an impression beyond the brief uprising of the cult surrounding Saint Corwin so I'm willing to wager it'll be pretty clean regardless. If you'd really like to dig through far too many posts, you're also welcome to look up Trope on Personality Cafe. Some of may even have been intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Yeah? I'm curious - why not?
    A better question might have been why I opted into it in the first place, which essentially boiled down to my not seeing anyone better for the job. That's clearly not an issue here.

As for why it blew, the site owner and I had differences of opinion about what to encourage on the boards. I wanted to see more quality discussions, even if I wasn't taking part in them, and he wanted as many users and posts as possible. He naturally won out by pandering to lowest common denominators in hopes of generating traffic and I took my leave as part of the fallout of a rather dramatic episode unrelated to the above which I may regale you with if you're curious about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    [video]
    Last edited by Thunderbird; 12-24-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Type
    INTP
    So you literally had a falling out concerning quantity over quality? Of forum posts?

Surreal. But, then again... pure count is much easier to assess, so it's an easy metric to stroke your ego with.

Type
    INTP
    So you literally had a falling out concerning quantity over quality? Of forum posts?
    No, that's just why it was good riddance. If you'd like a highly abstracted simplification, it was more an issue of ethics-free moralism in a seat of power.

Surreal. But, then again... pure count is much easier to assess, so it's an easy metric to stroke your ego with.
    Entirely agreed. That was my take on things too.

Type
    INTP
    I wanted to see more quality discussions, even if I wasn't taking part in them, and he wanted as many users and posts as possible.
    This can mean different things to different people. So I ask, what constitutes "quality discussions" to you?

He naturally won out by pandering to lowest common denominators in hopes of generating traffic and I took my leave as part of the fallout of a rather dramatic episode unrelated to the above which I may regale you with if you're curious about that too.
    Well, if you want to share, it's not like I'm not curious.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    This can mean different things to different people. So I ask, what constitutes "quality discussions" to you?
    Let's say. . . something like an actual back and forth conversation (even in jest or for trolling's sake) rather than something like the guy who did nothing but make a thread for what I figure was every quiz he could find on okcupid. . . for months. He'd dump so many threads into that subforum that nobody would respond to anything but the most recent when he paused for the evening because the rest would be buried so quickly they weren't worth digging up. It's difficult for me to remember a lot of specifics at this point, but the bulk of it amounted to little more than drive by posts. At least with this crowd, there's a chance that anything could eventually be spun into gold, regardless of its beginnings. Often directly in spite of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so pedantic that I think everything has to be amazing all the time but the guy who spent his first few days digging up every single welcome thread and copy/pasting 'welcome to the forum' for post-count's sake should probably have been given reason to pause. Maybe.

On the bright side, I did personally get to perma-ban Shai Gar.

Well, if you want to share, it's not like I'm not curious.
    Let's let that sleeping dog lie for now. Maybe when I've had a drink or two or I'm in a more expansive mood. . . or a blog thread. This doesn't quite seem the place.
    Last edited by Thunderbird; 12-25-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: grammar and clarification

Emperor.
    Type
    ENTP
    Yes, you're scum, so there's that.