Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld Lasers

Sysop
    Type
    INTP

Handheld Lasers

http://www.wickedlasers.com/

I have to say, I'm rather impressed. I'd totally get one, except I'm not sure what I'd do with it other than break it out at parties (perhaps even directly at unruly party guests), heh.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I suspect it would be one of those gadgets that is fun for a couple of days, and then once the novelty wears off ends up shoved in the garage with all the other crap that seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I suspect it would be one of those gadgets that is fun for a couple of days, and then once the novelty wears off ends up shoved in the garage with all the other crap that seemed like a good idea at the time.
    That's likely true, but it doesn't change the fact that had I known about it 3 months ago, it would have totally been on my christmas wish list.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    I'm surprised Darth Ennui hasn't remarked here yet. I mean, they make lightsaber-ish accessories for the things!

Type
    INTP
    If I had the money...

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    If I had the money...
    Should I put up a "Donate" button, as such?

Type
    INTP
    I'm glad to see they've survived their brush with LucasArts. They were being targeted precisely because of how lightsaberish their designs were a few years back.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Holy hell, they sell a 2 watt laser! A class IV laser should not be in any old schmuck's hands. Even glinting off of a surface back into someone's eye for a fraction of a second would result in immediate corneal damage.

That being said, I have a few cheap Chinese lasers that are clearly outputting more than their stated rating. (The green one is also a hazard because of the shoddy or completely missing IR filtering - these are IR pumped neodymium-doped yttrium vanadate lasers that frequently leak substantial IR radiation that does not trigger the blink reflex). The blue laser I have is really more or less violet, causes skin pain and has a beam that can be seen in the dark - this should not be the case. That being said, they're fantastic fun and great astronomy tools for pointing out constellations. No guessing what I'm talking about, just point it out with the laser.

Phreon
    Last edited by Phreon; 12-27-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Funny you should say that--on one of the pages there's a comment where someone says that exactly that happened to them.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    I want to pop balloons at a distance like the Grinch....if he had lasers.

Seeing as the knowledge base might be here. What are the dangers of way blue borderline violet LED lights in kids toys? They seem to want to stare at them.