Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is "white"?

Type
    INTP

What is "white"?

I hate those boxes, those judgemental little objects demanding to know "what" you are. What if I don't know? What if I just don't care? What if I don't want YOU to know?

Really, what is white? Is it really just skin color? By that token (she said token) I have met many people of other ethnicities that are white.
    Is it your upbringing? If your parents are considered white and you are raised in a white neighborhood, are you white by default?
    Is it your ethnic background? What if you really don't know? Ever heard of the "One drop" theory that says if you have even one drop of "black" in you you are black? Do YOU know where every single drop in your body came from?

What ethnicities are considered white? Is Italian? Is Russian? Is Jewish? I have heard it said that they "aren't really white".

I don't know, I don't care and I don't want to be judged by which box I check (I go with other or prefer not to answer) but it bothers me that I don't even really know what is considered white. Is there a chart or something? I like charts.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    XXXX
    I had to fill out one of those questionnaires today, asking me about my ethnicity. The questions were awful. One of them was like, "You are proud of your ethnicity" and the answers boxes were "Strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree." I thought, are you fucking kidding me? scratched out "are proud", wrote "don't give a shit about " above it, and left the stupid answer column blank. Next time they can at least phrase it so it makes sense.

Type
    Intp
    Obviously, if I am white then I am close-minded, conservative, elitist, and I didn't live through Viet Nam protests, the Civil Rights marches, equal rights for Women movements, Gay rights or any of the other things my friends or I were involved in because, you know. I'm just white. My non-white non-straight friends accept me as I am. It's an 'awesome anyway' thing.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Type
    INTP
    "White" is one of those wonderful, 100% subjective words. At least in California, white tends to mean non-latin and of European heritage. But that non-Latin part is tricky, too. If they're, for example, a pale Mexican with no accent, they'll be considered white. If they're a pale Mexican that only speaks very broken English, walks around in greasy jeans, old sneakers, and plaid shirts, wears a cross necklace, and has a mustache, they probably won't be considered white.

If I went to Russia, I suspect I wouldn't be considered white.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    I had to fill out one of those questionnaires today, asking me about my ethnicity. The questions were awful. One of them was like, "You are proud of your ethnicity" and the answers boxes were "Strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree." I thought, are you fucking kidding me? scratched out "are proud", wrote "don't give a shit about " above it, and left the stupid answer column blank. Next time they can at least phrase it so it makes sense.
    was it a KKK recruitment questionnaire??
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    was it a KKK recruitment questionnaire??
    It was a university questionnaire. They handed it out in my native American studies class, for reasons I do not know.

Type
    INTP
    The whitest whitey is the one with the most recessive hereditary traits. The whitest whitey needs to breed incestuously out of the fear that its spawn might not look like itself.

Type
    XXXX
    Usually when I hear people say someone is 'white', they mean that the person is a lighter skinned person of the Caucasoid race (with the term 'lighter skinned' being fairly subjective.) It's not just skin colour, a Mongoloid or Negroid could have identical skin tones to a 'white Caucasian' and still not be considered 'white'. In other words, the term 'white' is pretty pointless, because it is so arbitrary.

EDIT: I wonder if this post will cause a "Casually Racist" feedback thread.

Type
    intp
    "The U.S. Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Investigation also categorizes "white people" as "people having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definit..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    "White" is one of those wonderful, 100% subjective words. At least in California, white tends to mean non-latin and of European heritage. But that non-Latin part is tricky, too. If they're, for example, a pale Mexican with no accent, they'll be considered white. If they're a pale Mexican that only speaks very broken English, walks around in greasy jeans, old sneakers, and plaid shirts, wears a cross necklace, and has a mustache, they probably won't be considered white.
    I always thought that the "Non-Hispanic White" check box was confusing. Does that mean Spaniards are a different kind of white?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I always thought that the "Non-Hispanic White" check box was confusing. Does that mean Spaniards are a different kind of white?
    On its face it looks like it does. It's always seemed somewhat strange to me because most of the other race categories are based on ethnicity but that one is defined by culture.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.