Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is feminism to you?

Type
    XXXX

What is feminism to you?

With everything going on here lately, I think it's time for this thread. Since I'm insultingly ignorant about feminism, I thought it would be best if I made this thread.

I think find the term feminism to be particularly nebulous, everyone seems to have their own definitions and distinct ideas about what is and isn't feminist. I'm looking to carve it at its joints a bit.

-What is your definition of feminism? What does feminism as an ideology mean to you?
    -What things are necessary (and/or sufficent) for someone/something to be feminist in your opinion? What must be absent?
    -Is feminism pretty much egalitarianism? If not, what separates it?
    -If feminism is just egalitarianism, then why self-identify as a feminist (rather than an egalitarian)?

Type
    INTj
    A bastardized form of egalitarianism shaped into an ambiguous construct which can be adapted by individuals in order to fulfill the necessities of someone with munchausen's syndrome, either by proxy or directly.

Type
    Intp
    It historically means we have fought harder than most anyone thought possible to get even this far culturally. It looks like we are about to lose a lot of ground we already have won. I am majorly pissed, and don't even get me started. If you don't know what I am referring to then you need to wake up, read, smell the coffee, and become an equal human to me. Things are getting really ugly politically, culturally, again.

Personally, it means if you demean me in any way because I am female then you lose my respect since you don't see the obvious-- that I may be smarter, more skillful, and stronger than you regardless of your opinions to the contrary. If you try to demean me you will catch my wrath and I will fight you fair and square like a human, not like a boy or a girl. So, get your unenlightened male hubris out of my way-- I gots things to do and things that need to be said. That's what it is to me. Men have been blinded for centuries by backwards cultural mores, and I don't necessarily know who gets that and who doesn't (even other womenz).
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    It historically means we have fought harder than most anyone thought possible to get even this far culturally. It looks like we are about to lose a lot of ground we already have won. I am majorly pissed, and don't even get me started. If you don't know what I am referring to then you need to wake up, read, smell the coffee, and become an equal human to me. Things are getting really ugly politically, culturally, again.
    Living in Texas right now is weird. I sat in the state capitol when a bunch of senators voted to deny abortion access for child victims of rape.

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    Living in Texas right now is weird. I sat in the state capitol when a bunch of senators voted to deny abortion access for child victims of rape.
    That piece of it makes my blood boil. And that is only a part of it. People are truly afraid of equality. Totally. Not kidding.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The word itself means very little to me, personally, anymore.

On the spectrum of things, I view myself as approaching things from a gender abolitionist persepctive. I would describe the wife as a predominantly concerned with second-wave feminist issues, and have a friend who pisses her/me off by (incorrectly) dismissing her as a third-wave feminist, but there is no real easy distinction.

I don't really feel its entirely my place to talk about the friends/family I agree with/disagree with, since i feel like i'd be caricaturing their experiences/persons by trying to talk about them on the internet, but suffice to say there's the full spectrum there of importance/non-importance of gender roles, importance/non-importance of accepting/rejecting gender-roles, which ones they identify as, and whether someone is or is not a feminist depending on how those combinations relate to things...

Type
    INfj
    Well, I don't really have a cut-and-dried answer but I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    With everything going on here lately, I think it's time for this thread. Since I'm insultingly ignorant about feminism, I thought it would be best if I made this thread.

I think find the term feminism to be particularly nebulous, everyone seems to have their own definitions and distinct ideas about what is and isn't feminist. I'm looking to carve it at its joints a bit.
    -What is your definition of feminism? What does feminism as an ideology mean to you?
    -Is feminism pretty much egalitarianism? If not, what separates it?

Feminism is the movement towards equality. Egalitarianism is the ideology. Feminism is the set of ideas, concepts, cultural shifts, behavioural changes, stress vents, etc. which help to bring our world towards that ideal while also helping people to understand and cope with the fact that it's not there yet.

-If feminism is just egalitarianism, then why self-identify as a feminist (rather than an egalitarian)?
    To borrow the analogy of one of my favourite physicists, feminism is to egalitarianism what sex is to masturbation.

-What things are necessary (and/or sufficent) for someone/something to be feminist in your opinion? What must be absent?
    'someone' and 'something' are two (or more) very different questions.

For someone to be a feminist, they must understand why it is necessary to be aware of all these things and to be open-minded towards new problems, approaches, and solutions that they might not have considered because of their privileged position. (Oh, and be aware of their privileged position in the first place. Louis C.K. does a cute skit about it, and stuck shows that same sentiment in his posts sometimes. It's important to recognize in what ways one is privileged. I'm white, for example!)

For something to be a feminist work (of fiction for example) the criteria are more vague. Usually it's one or more of:
    -defy (gender/etc) stereotypes without disastrous consequences
    -if there are disastrous consequences, set the scene for the audience to empathize with the victim (ie. show how the stereotypes themselves are harmful)
    -put women in empowered roles, ie. where their decisions affect the outcome of the situation, for better or worse
    -doesn't sexualize female characters unless it's relevant (e.g. I wouldn't argue that Shame was a feminist movie since it examines a male ego but the women [and {spoilers} men] in it are sexualized for the sake of showing the protagonist's psychological issues rather than for the purposes of titillating the audience)
    -displays diversity and/or depth in female characters (this warrants a whole thread on its own - the bechdel test thread skirted around it)

I'm probably missing some but that's what comes to mind straight away.
    Last edited by Resonance; 04-17-2014 at 05:09 AM.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

I see it as a women's movement concerned with women's issues. I find it interesting just like I find the whole concept of gender interesting. I think I'd rather see gender become less important to people though than to promote one half of an artificial binary. I feel like I've learned a lot and benefited from reading about feminism and the perspectives of women who identify as feminists, though. I don't think I'd ever want to identify as a feminist though and I guess that's because I feel somewhat excluded from it. I want to promote gender equality but if I have thoughts about what that means or how to do it, I get the impression that under the feminism umbrella my opinion is viewed as irrelevant simply because I'm a man. Honestly though I'm just a man because at this point it would be a lot of effort to convince people I'm anything else.

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I see it as a women's movement concerned with women's issues. I find it interesting just like I find the whole concept of gender interesting. I think I'd rather see gender become less important to people though than to promote one half of an artificial binary. I feel like I've learned a lot and benefited from reading about feminism and the perspectives of women who identify as feminists, though. I don't think I'd ever want to identify as a feminist though and I guess that's because I feel somewhat excluded from it. I want to promote gender equality but if I have thoughts about what that means or how to do it, I get the impression that under the feminism umbrella my opinion is viewed as irrelevant simply because I'm a man. Honestly though I'm just a man because at this point it would be a lot of effort to convince people I'm anything else.
    fwiw, your opinion isn't irrelevant if you've gone through the effort to make an informed one. Of course it's hard to relate to an experience you don't have, but as long as you're willing to admit you have blind spots and things you don't understand and are willing to listen to alternative perspectives on, you could easily be a welcome 'ally', especially since you seem to have a good deal of reading and understanding under your belt already. There are a few good example-setters on this forum, so it's not like it's some alien thing you can never broach.

As for your own gender issues, you're welcome to talk about them in an appropriate place (such as your personal blog, or a thread about what feminism means to men, or about nonbinary gender identities if applicable, or something like that).
    Last edited by Resonance; 04-17-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    xxxx
    to me, it's beliefs, ideologies and actions aimed towards gender equality and liberation, stemming from observations of patriarchy/gender hierarchy, sexism and misogyny. i think feminist critique of social, political and economic spheres is utterly necessary and despite feeling/being excluded from (and disagreeing with) many of the dominant feminist streams i strongly identify as a feminist. this is the simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    i need something that explicitly critiques and counters the tendency to remove or minimize a focus on women. we are already disregarded and underrepresented in many contexts.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-17-2014 at 10:50 AM.