Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Type
    INTj

Eggs

After watching this video and proceeding to cook my eggs this way I can't get enough of them. I'll cook six at a time and then throw in a ton of precooked chicken and rosemary. I'm debating with myself the health consequences of eating this combination so frequently (at least three times a week). A major plus is that they are cheap, and my portfolio took a massive hit so I'm trying to cut back a little...

Check out Gordon Ramsay's video on how to prepare scrambled eggs properly, I swear to god it tastes amazing.

food for thought:
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf050964f
    http://ajcn.lovecvs.com/content/73/5/885.short

What do you guys think, is it healthy to consume so many eggs?

Type
    INTP
    what is the rest of your diet like?

Type
    xxxx
    Yeah... sunny side up, yolk still runny. it's so beautiful and delicious. I'd like to think of it as healthy. i think the whole cholesterol thing has been debunked. though i'm still weary of eating anything in excess.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    Can't say I've ever thought of scrambled eggs as "sexy" but that does look good. Was that a foosball table in his kitchen?

I eat eggs a lot but they're mostly just the whites, and they're from the ranch's hens so I know what they were fed and how they live.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    what is the rest of your diet like?
    Extremely mixed bag. I eat a lot of salad, generally romaine lettuce tossed with Cesar dressing, mushrooms and chicken.

If it is 10pm-12pm I'll grab some mexican food from a local drive-through. If it past 1am I head to Mc'donalds sometimes and get grilled chicken sandwiches.

Pan seared salmon with quinoa risotto is nice if I have the time. it isn't a true risotto though, I make a béchamel base and add in the cooked quinoa, flavoring with romano or parmesan.

I rarely eat fast food, occasionally I'll get a chipotle burrito bowl loaded with veggies, chicken, beans, and guacamole.

I think the most negative thing in my diet at the moment is beer, I have a keg of fat tire and another of stella artois on tap in my house and I imbibe a bit too frequently, however my blood-work looks amazing and my doctors say I'm in peak physical condition, at the moment.

I don't want to mess that up though...
    Last edited by Perdix; 04-20-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Type
    xxxx
    that video is so good. i should watch more of that guy, i like his energy. that's a TON of butter. i wouldn't use that much.

i've been eating my hens' eggs hardboiled lately with no seasoning. one per day. i still haven't tired of the flavor and texture yet which is anything but plain, esp in the yolk. when it comes to scrambled egg and fried eggs, i've been told that mine are really good (and i agree! haha). apparently texture and knowing when to stop is really important.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Can't say I've ever thought of scrambled eggs as "sexy" but that does look good. Was that a foosball table in his kitchen?

I eat eggs a lot but they're mostly just the whites, and they're from the ranch's hens so I know what they were fed and how they live.
    I didn't notice the foosball table, but I wouldn't discount it -- he is a big football (soccer) fan.

I usually just shut off my emotions when it comes to where my food comes from, I know it can be an inhumane industry, however they're there, and the deed(s) have already been done, so I guess that's my own personal rationalization for not caring too much. But I do admire your ethics .

Type
    INTP
    Neat. Sounds like you are getting a TON of protein.

Overall I'm a pretty big supporter of eggs, but you know most those positive studies are using intakes much much lower than yours. I think we can both agree having 16 or more a week for an extended time isn't ideal. I don't know exactly what's going to happen, or what the magic number is. My vote is yes, cut back. Vary your diet a bit more.

Unsolicited advice on how: reduce how many times/week you eat that as a meal by at least one, try it with one less egg, and/or find some more veggies you like to throw in there (and with your other meals) to add some density, nutrients, and a little bulk to the meal to make up for the missing egg. There are cheaper vegetables out there.

Hope any of that helps. and yeah, I did laugh a bit when he called them sexy. As for butter... I think eggs simply need butter!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    But I do admire your ethics .
    Well, they're convenient ethics when I can get all I want for free where I work. If I knew of someplace local where I could verify the humane treatment and feed of their cows, I'd be happy to buy my dairy products there, but I still buy my organic cottage cheese and mozzarella from the grocery store.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    that video is so good. i should watch more of that guy, i like his energy. that's a TON of butter. i wouldn't use that much.

i've been eating my hens' eggs hardboiled lately with no seasoning. one per day. i still haven't tired of the flavor and texture yet which is anything but plain, esp in the yolk. when it comes to scrambled egg and fried eggs, i've been told that mine are really good (and i agree! haha). apparently texture and knowing when to stop is really important.
    I was going to say, I imagine anything with that much butter in it would taste amazing :P